Open trailer suggestions

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by The Grass Guy, May 7, 2008.

1. The Grass Guy

The Grass Guy LawnSite Member

I have about 20 accounts and cut part time.(legally) I currently have a 6x12 single axle, open leaf trailer. I usually cut by myself but recently have had the need to pick up some help on the bigger stuff. What I would like is a dual axle with mesh sides either in 14 or 16 ft. I talked to a friend that owns a trailer building business and he says he will build me what I want. I really like the mesh sides, hes asking about a dove tail with a short gate (?) anyone have one of these,seems like it would drag,and with a gate assist I dont see it being practical.Id like to be able to get two zero turns on it and my new Wright Stander RH. if need be. (alone i carry my Z-master & Wright)I like my string trimmer rack on the curb side also, and if need be maybe haul a small tractor and bush hog for cleanups. Anyone have any suggestions on how to set up this trailer that will make it work better, pros n cons to a dual axle vs.a single.I have a f-150 as a tow vehicle. Why a trimmer rack on the front (seen a few that way) I will transfer my blower rack,cooler rack,gas can holder from the old trailer as they are bolted on.TIA

2. The Grass Guy

Wanting to get a new trailer ordered.........anyone have any input dual axle vs. single axle and how long it needs to be for two zero turns?

3. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

Dual Axle trailers are rated for more weight. so if your planning on putting 2 full size ztrs.. thats obviously a better choice. are you running baggers on the mowers? I would say a 16' would probably fit 2 ztrs with no bagging systems.

4. The Grass Guy

No im not bagging anything, just looking for a more stable pulling trailer with the capability of hauling two zero turns if ever needed and have maybe 3-4 feet left over.

5. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

Well then maybe you should look at getting a 20' trailer. but there is no way that f150 will be pulling that!

6. The Grass Guy

Im stuck at 14 or 16 dual axle, curious if you can get two zero turns on a 14, I know on my 12' it will hold a z-master and a walk behind if you drag the walk behind sideways. Holds the wright stander 32RH the Z and a push mower to the gate,did that today.

7. TPS

TPS LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I have a 7' x 14'. I have been looking at the Hustler ZTRs. According to their web site they are about 6'4" long. So I could fit 2 if need be and still have a few extra feet. I also liked the mesh sides, but instead went with solid steel sides, 2' tall. It was only a 100 bucks more then the mesh and I dont have to worry about losing leaves or mulch. I think the total weight of the trailer empty is about 1400 lbs. With 2 ZTRs you should still be fine with your F150.

8. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

That's a light dual axle trailer if it weighs that. Our 6 X 16 weighs 1900+ pounds empty.

9. TPS

TPS LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Hmm...I never weighed it. Thats what the delivery driver told my dealer it weighed. They get shipped without the wheels on, but that wouldn't add that much weight I don't think. I'll have to get it on a scale one day.

10. totallawncare25

totallawncare25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

the dove tail catches less wind and my mowers dont drag. there is no need for a gate assist with it as the gate doesnt weight much at all