Open trailer versus enclosed

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GreenHor7, Feb 12, 2008.

1. GreenHor7

GreenHor7 LawnSite Member

I was wondering if you guys recommend to use open trailers or enclosed trailers when it comes to lawn treatments. I can see the benefits of each but i was wondering what everyone suggests and what everyone uses right now. I do not want to buy a seperate truck yet for this, so i am looking at a more economical method but yet efficient.

2. fertguy2008

fertguy2008 LawnSite Member

If you go enclosed and usind a large spray tank, be sure to use as much stainless steel or painted metal as you can. Ask a trugreen chemlawn long time veteran about corosion in some of their older enclosed trucks.

3. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Here is what I plan on picking up in the next few weeks to haul my sprayer.

2006_0529Image0001.jpg

4. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

There's no comparison at all - an enclosed trailer is the only good way to go. It's a shed on wheels. It keeps material and equipment dry, secure and protected. It's also a rolling billboard for your business and makes you look far more professional. The only reason to use an open trailer is it's cheap and that's not a good reason at all. It's a good idea to have the inside sprayed with Rhino liner or similar to prevent water and fert from eating into the wood.

5. n-green

n-green LawnSite Senior Member

I use a small open open trailer (cheap) to haul my Magnum and a push spreader. I have a 50 gallon nurse tank in the bed of my truck for PG and hand cans. I put it in my garage every night. If you can't lock it up, get an enclosed. Hey sclawndr, how big of a spray unit do you have in your trailer?

6. GreenHor7

GreenHor7 LawnSite Member

It is strictly for a z-spray with a nurse tank to fill the unit. I might also keep a couple of backpacks and push spreader in it. I like the whole idea of a rolling billboard that is why i am leaning more to a enclosed trailer.

7. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I run an enclosed b/c it keeps all my equipment dry and out of sight. I got a 16 foot so I can put my z and 2 pg's in it for my larger jobs. It is also nice after a late day to not have to unload everything.

8. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

I run a Magnum and don't need a lot of water. My nurses tank (65 gallons) is in the bed of the truck but this year I may move it into the trailer.

9. wrivers

wrivers LawnSite Member

People can and will steal anything they can out of an open trailer. Even stuff you never thought could get stolen. If you get an open trailer to save a few bucks, some scumbag will make you regret it soon enough.

10. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone have any pictures of the inside of their enclosed trailers set up for applications?