1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Open Trailers are Better Than Enclosed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Tracer, Jan 10, 2013.

1. hi_speedreed

hi_speedreed LawnSite Senior Member

if you feel sorry for him for only having one trailer, you'll really feel bad when you take a look at the picture of the rig he just posted in another thread
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Chris Feenan

Chris Feenan LawnSite Member

I think an F350 dump is overkill if all your haulin is mowers and mulch, isn't it? Gas efficiency matters more these days to me.

I can fit a 52" Scag, a trim mower, and 2 or 3 yds of mulch easily if I have to. But if we are doing cleanups, we probably aren't cutting.

An enclosed is just too limited for me. I wish it wasn't, they look great.

B&B trees in an enclosed ? I guess you could, but you'd look pretty silly.

3. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

It depends on how much mulch and how many mowers. We usually bring mowers doing mulch because we pick up any leaves that may have fallen over the winter and mow if needed as part of our Spring cleanup.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

For real. I only have 1 ZTR and I dread going to the gas station every 2 weeks. Fill up the mower (10 gals) and two 5 gallon cans. Plus the 36" mower and the 21" mower. Plus the 2 stroke stuff. Did I mention the twin fuel tanks on the truck? :laugh:

5. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

We used enclosed trailers on all of our crews for about 15 years. Just switched over to enclosed a little over two years ago and I'd never go back.

There were two main reasons. First, they are WAY more secure. On the jobsite and at your shop. Now if you're a Solo Op and only have one trailer and are keeping it near your home, it's probably secure. But if you have several crews, I can almost guarantee you stuff will get stolen out of them eventually - I don't care how secure you think your shop is. When it happens the first time you'll be pissed but think it's a fluke. When it happens a year later you'll be like, "WTF! I thought we took measures to prevent this?!" When it happens a third time, despite all your efforts to secure them, then you'll want an enclosed one.

Since we've gone to enclosed about two and a half years ago (and because we hold the crew leader strictly accountable to keep it locked) we haven't had one item stolen during that time.

Second reason is the advertising my enclosed trailers offer me. It's like a huge billboard rolling around town and sitting in high end neighborhoods all day. And now we have 5 of them going around town any given day. IMO, if you're trying to grow a large business, name recognition is critical. So since that's our goal, the trailers help us meet that goal in a big way. Our name recognition has gone up like crazy since we got these trailers.

I would never go back to open.

6. Aaronnc

Aaronnc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Zone 7B

where do you park your equipment? Your parents?

7. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

So your spring clean ups include mulching the flowerbeds too?

8. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Yes we put down bark mulch during our Spring cleanups to limit the amount of trips to a property.

9. THORNTON SERVICES LLC

THORNTON SERVICES LLC LawnSite Senior Member

no many of our accounts get alot of mulch , and sometimes we need equipment to do the landscaping , also its so much easier to unload the mulch with a pitch fork and wheel barrow out of a trailer with a gate than to deal with a truck , alot of times we use a small kubotoa 2320 tractor with front end loader to unload the mulch and get it where it needs to go etc , the truck thing will probally only work for small jobs. We do the landscaping seperate from the mowing also never at the same time unless its like weeding a small mulch bed or something small , we have done real small projects on the lawn care route but I just throw a few bags of mulch in the trailer or truck for that. How are you guys that run enclosed trailers refueling your equipment?

10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

What do you mean by that? We re-fuel the same as we ever did. Gas cans. Is there a reason it would be different for enclosed trailers? We use a 5 gal. gas can for our mowers and a small 2 gal. for our blowers, trimmers, etc. Those two cans fit easily into the trailer.