1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Open trailers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kartracer2000, May 25, 2008.

1. kartracer2000

kartracer2000 LawnSite Member

You guys with open trailers, do you guys just let your equipment stay outside if you dont have a shop? I have an enclosed, but, a couple of guys in my area have open trailers and their equipment sits outside uncovered through rain and other weather. I would think that would be hard on the equipment. What do you guys do?
  2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

try to leave everything on the trailer, saves time in the morning. usually cover everything with a tarp when rain is in the forecast. just lock everything up and unhook, all I have to do is hook-up everything an unlock it as I need it...
  3. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

I leave everything on the trailer, and store it in my garage overnight.
  4. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

Even though I have a shop I put it my garage for the following reasons:
    1. It is closer and more convient than putting it in the shop.
    2. My kids like looking at my equipment everyday (for some strange reason).:confused:
    3. Last but not least the gas smell really pisses my wife off...:laugh:
  5. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a 25' x 11' storage unit that I pay $40/mo for. Plenty of room for my trailer at the end of the day and firewood that i've got left over from last winter :)

Close to the house too. I got a pretty good deal though.
  6. Military Lawns

Military Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I have an enclosed and open trailer. The open trailer is T/A 6x12 and fits perfectly into my garage. Lately, I have been using the open trailer more because it is easier to transport sod, mulch and plants. I have been busy with a few landscaping jobs.

7. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

I unload into the garage everynight because if I left it loaded we would not be able to get into the freezer. I have to be able to lift the tongue and pull the trailer out if we need something in the freezer.

As far as rain goes when I am out, I have W.E. Chapps heat insulated trimmer covers on my 2 cycle and my blower gets covered with a big garbage bag and my 2 Briggs gas cans have 1 1/4 sch. 40 pvc pipe with pipe caps for covers to keep out the rain on them.

I don't worry about the 2 big mowers, they should be ok in the rain I would think. The carburetors are totally covered.

It is a total pain in the butt loading every morning but it is how it is until I can afford a storage unit. That is just not important to me right now.
  8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

this is my issue too.... Glad ya posted....

cant afford a shop right now and the trailer wont fit inside. so when It rains I unload everything ..PITA..

But I think I'm gonna take a advice from raven386, and do the ole tarp thing.

Thanks again
  9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Day to day during the week, I usually keep the trailer loaded in front of my shop. If rain is in the forcast, then I unload and re load the next day. My trailer is usually un loaded over the weekend.

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

just cleaned the garage to fit the trailer in it