1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Open utility trailer vs. Enclosed trailer. Whats your thoughts...

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by driver5, Apr 11, 2009.

1. driver5

driver5 LawnSite Senior Member

Ive had three utility trailers.. Love em.. endless ways to set um up... But im craving the idea of having an enclosed... Having a portable garage.... Craving the thought of not having to unload my stuff every day.. and keeping it out of the rain.

problem is .. is that I dont have a diesel to pull it. I have a Chevy WT with a six cylinder.

Anyways. Just curious on your thoughts.

2. Mowbizz

Mowbizz LawnSite Senior Member

I have an open trailer and can't imagine not being able to just reach over the side to grab something, or step over the side, etc...I have covers and tarps that cover my equipment and it's locked securely with thick cables and heavy locks. I think it's ideal for my solo operation. I have had covered trailers for cargo and motorcycles and such, but the open trailer is right for me at this point in time. Fairly, lightweight (compared to a box trailer) easy to maneuver with good vision all around, and it doubles as a utility trailer and a tractor hauler...BTW it's a Pequa (very well made) dual axle, 14x7.
    Gassing up my machines and cans is an easy task as well. That could be a pain with a closed trailer...Good luck with your decision whatever it may be.
  3. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

thts why i have both!!! but soon to get rid of open and get a 20' enclosed!

its all really about personal preference!
  4. driver5

driver5 LawnSite Senior Member

it never occured to me till just now that fueling would sux with an enclosed..
  5. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

You can fill the mowers from cans, or put a small door(s)in a position to slide the gas hose through.

I love my enclosed....do a search for more opinions.
  6. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

some enclosed come with fuel doors on the side! i just fuel up the equipment ouside the trailer!:cool2:
  7. Mowbizz

Mowbizz LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen guys take their machines out of the enclosed trailers and drive/push the mowers up to the pumps to fuel up...NO THANKS! Filling a ZTR with a gas can can be a time consuming proposition too...especially with the slow gurgling cans we have today.
    Fuel doors are one solution but you have to put the hose thru the door then climb in to the closed trailer and pick up the hose and start gassing...if you have a few mowers inside, it may be a pain traversing thru the mowers with a gas hose in hand...also fuel doors add to the cost of your enclosed trailed and you'd probably want them on both sides for better access. Just some of my personal reasons not to go enclosed...:drinkup:
    (it's also been proven that enclosed trailers are no more secure from theft than open trailers) bolt cutters will slice thru a lock like butter. I think the only positive point is keeping stuff out of the weather...for me anyway
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  8. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

An enclosed trailer has more positive points than just "keeping stuff out of the weather". With an enclosed you have everything in one place, nothing in the bed of your truck, a rolling bill board and yes your equipment is dry as well. Now, about your comment on locks, try cutting through these with your bolt cutters http://www.etrailer.com/pc-L~DT40122.htm

The only pita with an enclosed is getting it set up the way you want, after that you're good to go.
  9. kaferhaus

kaferhaus LawnSite Bronze Member

Enclosed trailers are time killers.

They're much more expensive, heavier and use more fuel to tow.

In the summer they become ovens inside.

You can put signs on the sides and ramps of open trailers.

Before we had a large drive through building, we tarped and cable locked everything and parked it all behind the house I had at the time which was fenced in. Never had a thing stolen and the equpment stayed dry.
  10. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I like the open trailers. I can easily fuel up the truck and the mower all from the same pump. I keep everything in my garage at night unless I'm starting early the next day. Then I cover it up with a tarp to keep the dew off. If someone came on my property at any given time, my boy Logan will go crazy. They would get nowhere fast with him around.