Open utility trailer walls.

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by A-PlusLawnCare, May 13, 2014.

1. A-PlusLawnCare

A-PlusLawnCare LawnSite Member

I am needing to add higher walls on my 10x6 very soon. What would be the best way of going about it? I do not need to cover the expanded metal, Just add on top of it. I was thinking 2x4 uprights and then a couple of 2x6 or 2x8's bolted to them, that goes the entire length of the trailer. Only problem is, not sure what the best way to mount the 2x4's are. Here are a few pic of the trailer showing why I cant just get stake pockets, there isnt a good spot to mount them. So i was thinking maybe ubolts holding on the 2x4's, but not sure. Any other options? All help is appreciated. thanks.

unnamed.jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

2. TheLugNutZ

TheLugNutZ LawnSite Senior Member

I can tell you the one I purchased had metal beams welded on extending up (where you are talking about putting 2x4s then there are 2x6s bolted to them around the trailer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. A-PlusLawnCare

Ok, Well that is an option, I can have a buddy weld something like that on. But if there is a way for me to do the 2x4's I would like to, Since I am needing to do this tomorrow or Thursday. good backup plan though.

4. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

How high do you need to go?

I'll look for the pics of when I did mine...

5. A-PlusLawnCare

Im looking at adding either 2 2x6's or 2x8's. So 12-16" on top of what is there.

6. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

I've seen people use plywood with u bolts through the mesh. Then 2-3 2x4s in between on top
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. A-PlusLawnCare

ok, sorry not sure what you mean. So they attach plywood to the mesh then 2x4's on top?

8. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

OK. This may be completely off base from what you want to do, but maybe it will give you or someone else an idea. I had posted these before, but can't find them, so here we go again...

As purchased used. Prev owner had added the plywood and covered it with some black vinyl. It looked like crap, but the sides were solid.
    You can see the mounting bolts sticking out under the top rail. That's all he did and it held.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wanted the sides to be a LITTLE higher and decided to just COVER over the existing wood than replace it since the base was sound - just unsightly.

I painted the inside and the frame, then cut my new plywood to size, stained it with leftover deck waterproofing, and bolted it on using some eye bolts as tie down points for tarping.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My next trailer will be a little different. I plan on making removable sides so I can have REALLY HIGH sides for leaf removals that I can take off after the job is finished.
    The height on the current sides is just right. If it were any higher it would be a complete PITA to reach in to get things out. (And I'd bust my nuts when climbing in over the side!)

9. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

2x4s diagonal to keep top stable
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. A-PlusLawnCare

Ok, something like that may work. What Kind of black paint did you use when you repainted it? Did it stay on there good?