Open vs Closed Trailers and Gas Mileage

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by cpel2004, Jan 30, 2008.

1. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Im trying to think of different ways to save on fuel cost. Do you switching from a closed tandem to an open tandem would make a big difference on fuel saving?

2. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

I would think that you would save some ...

3. old oak lawn

old oak lawn LawnSite Senior Member

if you are switching to a lighter trailer you will save on gas, and a open trailer has less wind hitting the front of it then a enclosed. but it also has rain and sun hitting your equipment all day long.

4. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

My 16' Enclosed V-nose got better mileage then my 16' open trailer. The tailgate on my open trailer was like a parachute. I finally sold the open trailer this fall.

5. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

bump......

6. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

thats what is keeping me from putting a sign on my trailer.

7. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Even if you do save $ on gas, what good is it going to do you if your equip. gets stolen off the open trailer. I think I'll stay with the enclosed trailer so I can lock it up.

8. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

If you go with the open trailer try to figure a way to mount your hand tools / leaf rakes
    shovels/ ete. so they don't catch the wind maybe mount on side of trailer on an angle.

9. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

Just my two cents:

I've got an open trailer but only until I can afford an enclosed trailer. The fuel mileage isn't going to be much of a difference.

And as others said, fuel mileage isn't going to mean much when compared to the value of keeping your equipment in good shape for when you want to sell it.

I wouldn't even think you'd save 1mpg anyhow.

10. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

An old farmer near here was noted for saying that whether you build a building or not, you'll pay for it. What he meant was wear on equipment will cost as much as a shelter to keep it in over time. Apply that to your trailer. I think a V-nose enclosed would offer the best solution. The V splits the air and being enclosed protects your stuff from weather and theft. I think a V-nose would be more aerodynamic than a bunch of awkward shaped equipment racks, mowers, and ramps on an open trailer.