Open vs Enclosed trailers, Bad or Good

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Tomt, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Tomt

Tomt LawnSite Member

I am considering buying an enclosed trailer later this year or early next.
    I need some input from you guys/gals that have gone from open to enclosed.
    I have been looking at Wells Cargo's commercial line, what brands have you found to the most for the money.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

2. mh1314

mh1314 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I went from Closed to Open. If you get a closed trailer make sure you can stand up in it, make sure it has at least a side door and roof vents (gas fumes). It's great for weather and security, but isn't quite as convenient for getting your equipment, backing and weight (gas mileage)

I had a 6X12 closed 6 1/2 foot headroom and went to a 5X10 open. I actually have more stuff on the open trailer

ZTR
    21" mower
    backpack blower
    handheld blower
    chainsaw
    hedge trimmer
    stick edger
    2-trimmers
    tree trimmer
    2 gas cans
    water can
    jungle jim holder 3-trimmer , double blower and wanter can holder.
    60" aluminum tool box
    assorted tools rakes, shovels,brooms
    traffic cone

3. Tomt

Tomt LawnSite Member

thanks mh1314.
    That is the kind of input I need. I have anticipated pros and cons, but would like to learn from your experiences.

4. LocalTouch

LocalTouch LawnSite Member

I think an clean enclosed trailer makes a statement of professionalism. It looks neater to customers, rather than a bunch of equipment thrown on an open trailer. Also, it is safer-less risk of a $500 blower getting lifted right off of it. Also storage is a big pro for me. No more unloading the equipment into a garage. Just back the enclosed up, unhook, and go. Also if you advertise your company on your trailer, it is like a mobile billboard. :blob3:

pict0004.jpg

5. AGLawnCare

AGLawnCare LawnSite Member

i went from open to enclosed and i would never go back. A well painted enclosed trailer looks real nice also.

6. myoder

myoder LawnSite Member

I also went from open to enclosed. Everything Localtouch said is true, the convience factor of just being able to back up the trailer, unhook and go, is a biggie. It is a garage on wheels. Mine is a United Expressline

dcp_2082resize.jpg