1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

opening a buss. check account while on un-employment

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by shade tree landscaping, Apr 16, 2007.

1. shade tree landscaping

shade tree landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering if any of you could tell me if I would be able ot open a business checking account ot cash my checks while i am on un-employment. Just gertting started and need every dime i can get rite now, and un-employment is basically paying my mortgage. I live in a different state then where the checks for un-employment are coming from, so its not NJ checks, and im in business in NJ so the sate i live in would not have red flags. or would they across the board? Just wondering if anyone has had any experiamnce with doing this. thanks.
  2. shade tree landscaping

3. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

So your self employed but file for unemployement? I can't tell you for sure if it's illegal but I would imagine so. What about morals and ethics?
  4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I think you May run into some problems......

Why would anyone want to do this anyway ?
  5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Most of us are out working at 3pm most days

But the whole thing seems .... Shady to me ;-)
  6. chris638

chris638 LawnSite Member

No kidding. Our taxes are paying for you to be on unemployment and your self employed. I understand people fall on hard times, but come on. Maybe I am the only one thinking this, but people who do this are the scum of the earth. Worst than lowballers. Not to mention, but it is illegal as all hell.
  7. shade tree landscaping

heres the situition . . . I went from a high paying job, to being out on my a*s over nite. I have just started up this year, not making much if anything off of my litle company. Actually just covering expensees for equipment. So the un-employment is to pay for my mortgage so i dont lose my home. Like i said its not like i am making a killing off of my landscape co. Its the first year and the money i make is paying for the equipment. and as far as the morals and being scum goes, i paid for years big money into un-employment I'm just trying to get get on my feet. not trying to take lavish vacations, buy plasma TVs or anything like that. just trying to get back on my feet. once my co is up and running enough to where I can turn a profit, I will obviously not be getting the un-employment.
  8. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I hear ya. But, wouldn't it be less scumbag-like if instead of unemployment, you got a night job? That way you could start your biz and not have to worry about getting busted doing shady stuff.
    To answer your original question, I would say it would be a gamble. It may or maynot throw up flags and get you in some sort of trouble. I would try to go the route I suggested.
  9. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

You should be reporting anything you are making from your new business to unemployment anyway. Sounds to me like you are working under the table and taking advantage of the sytem. I for one would not be publicly putting this information on the Internet for everyone to see. What you are doing is wrong. You are cheating the system and yet you seem to think it is OK.

I went from a decent paying job to nothing also. I collected unemployment and had to live on $286/week. Every penny I made I reported to unemployment and that money came off my weekly total, so if I made $200 one week, my unemployment check would only be $86.00. Try living in one of the most expensive places in the country on $286.00 a week.
  10. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

money is the devil and the devil will get you and boy you wont like it.