Opening Business in New England

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SterlingLawn, Jul 29, 2002.

1. SterlingLawn

SterlingLawn LawnSite Member

I presently own a lawn care/landscape business in ohio but really love New England. Where I spent most of younger years. Would like to hear from any of you that either presently have a business there or even better from people that have worked this business in the midwest and have started up shop in the New England region. More specifically Connecticut and/or Massachusetts. Thinking of moving to the CT shoreline area and wanted to get ideas from you all on if it is a good area to do this type of start-up, if I can expect to see a dramatic difference in the demographic, competition, and and turf managemant. Presently licenced and very legit here in Ohio and plan to be the same there. Vendors license? Sales tax? Who oversees herbicide licencing? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Sterling - I just started my lawn care & landscaping business full time this year on the CT shoreline. Plenty of work and plenty of money here (depends exactly where you go though).

You don't need any license to do maintenance work other than get your sales & use tax permit from the Dept. of Revenue Services, 25 Sigourney Street, Hartford, CT 06106-5032. Lawn care & landscaping for existing construction is taxable at 6 %.

You may need a vendors license in some municipalities, but not near me.

You need to be licensed through the Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection to apply fertilizer and pesticides, even if you sub contract the work. I don't have my license yet.

If you plan to do "landscape alteration", you need to get a home improvement contractors license through the Dept. of Consumer Protection ($160/yr I think, no test).

Hope this helps.

3. SterlingLawn

thanks darryl for the help. Its a good start for me.

4. Darryl G

No problem. Feel free to e-mail me if you need anything else.

5. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Some of those toadish little townships are leafy hamlets that BAN THE USE OF LEAF BLOWERS!

And a lot of stodgy little towns have strict zoning, etc. The types of things like getting a lot of parking tickets, etc, and snoopy freaks always watching you and complaining about noise.

KB

6. Darryl G

I just wanted to correct one thing I said. You don't need a pesticide license to subcontract applications, but you do need to register with the DEP. Employees doing the app. need an applicators license and supervisors need a supervisors license. Since I'm a one man show, I would need the supervisors license.

7. SterlingLawn

Any hints on marketing. How did you guys get feet in door initially. Flyers on mailboxes? Direct mail? Are there townships that have no solicitation rules. Also are you getting more residential or commercial. Or should I say, what did you target?

8. agrostis palustris

agrostis palustris Banned

What area of New England are you planning on targeting if you don't mind my asking? It is a pretty good size area after all.

9. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Agrostis- Did you read the post?
    "More specifically Connecticut and/or Massachusetts. Thinking of moving to the CT shoreline area..."