1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

OpenOffice applications

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Roger, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have OpenOffice on my PC. It has several programs in the package (e.g. Writer, etc.), including database management.

I have successfully established a database, but find the tools to retrieve and report the information is very poor -- or, at least I don't understand them.

My question: Are there downloadable programs available for writing applications to create specific reports out of the database?

If anybody else uses this database, how do you make reports? I see query function, but I want reports. For example, I want sub-totals, and totals, out of amounts in a certain field. I don't see a way of doing this on a routine basis.

I can create a spreadsheet, but a spreadsheet requires a certain structure. I was hoping to enter all data into a database, and then use a reporting function to get the information I am seeking.

I know MS Access has a programming language to write these applications. Is there a counter-part for OpenOffice?