Operating cost differential 3/4 or 1 ton

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by zabmasonry, Jan 2, 2013.

1. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

I never thought those words would be in the same sentance. My 6.2 is a good running motor, other than that it is a dog which we only use for plowing because it doesn't have the power to spin a wheel. I do agree about the 4 cyl diesel, overseas they have a Ranger with a diesel and it is a huge seller.
  2. 01thump

01thump LawnSite Member
    from orlando

Sounds like you know what you want why not just do a motor swap there are tons of 4 banger diesels out there in old bread trucks and other things to grab a motor from build your own instead of waiting for someone else to do it for you..my neighbor put a 4bt in his ranger in a weekend and loves it..you will never see the high mileage that you are looking for though that is unrealistic..plus our government will not allow those high mileage numbers they would loose to much money..
  3. david bailey

david bailey LawnSite Member

You say you'll be pulling a 12k trailer. what are you hauling on the trailer. The biggest reason I would look at a dually has more to do with stopping than pulling. I own a 250 with a 7.3 and it's a great engine but the tranny is not as strong as the one in my 06 350 dually. The biggest knock on Dodge is the flimsy transmissions. If you go Ram,get a manual. A one ton is a heavier drive train/axles/brakes than a 3/4 ton. is the trailer a tag along or a goose?
  4. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Two completely different trucks. If you had an 06 250 with a 6.0, it would have a Torqshift, the same transmission that's in a 350, 450, and 550. The only thing that changes is the gearing and spring package.