1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Operating Cost?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by ACutAbovesiny, Nov 9, 2006.

1. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

Are any of you guys aware of your operating cost this year? Its my first year and I'm running just over $12,000. How about the rest of you???
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I know right up to the day. I only have to look at my P & L Statement in QuickBooks.

What's nice about QB's is that it will also compare those numbers to the same time last year. Not only do I know where I was, but I can use this as a guide to tell me where I am going and want to be. To me, that is invaluable information helping me to manage my company.
  3. ACutAbovesiny

I plan on using QuickBooks next year. I was thinking of picking it up during the winter and inputing everything for next season.
  4. ACutAbovesiny

Anyone else? How about some of you new guys? Have you looked into your operating costs?
  5. ACutAbovesiny

I dont know how any of you are making money if you dont know how much you are spending.
  6. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I took ICPI last week and the overhead section really opened my eyes. Before the course, i figured out my overhead, but i was leaving alot of stuff out.

After the course i sat down, looked at this years expenses and started to realize why i am not making any money. I then made a budget for 2007. I now have a good idea how much i need to charge an hour if i want to pay all my bills, pay my self X amount a year and for the business to make 20% profit.

I have a feeling, that my prices will be higher then most now. But i think that is because most landscapers are not business man, and never will be.

7. ACutAbovesiny

I took the ICPI last week too. In Saddle Brook. Same as you??
  8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

We know our overhead costs. We have been in business for 25 years.... hard to do without knowing your costs.... also it has enabled us to take on LARGE maintenance projects, and actually make money at them while still doing a good job. This is very hard to do since large projects normally have such thin margins.
  9. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

Isn't that the truth.
  10. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

takes us $16,000 per month to keep the doors open, as of to date with equipment purchases and everything 209,000 and some change