1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

operating ZTR's with one hand

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by americanlawn, Apr 20, 2009.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Is anybody here able to safely steer & turn a ZTR unit with just one hand? Hills/slopes too? If so, why do manufacturers put two handles (one for each hand) on ZTR mowers?

I know this sounds like a dumb question, but I have my reasons. Check out http://www.z-spray.com.

Seems users of the above product say they can safely & easilly manuuever it with just one hand. We tried for 2 1/2 hours, but we still could not do it.

rscvp, thanks

2. terryswafford

terryswafford LawnSite Member

yes, I do it every time i use my country clipper. only because it only has one joy stick. I love it .If I need to hold back a branch or take a drink of ice tea it is great.

3. WalkerMike98

WalkerMike98 LawnSite Member

All the time. Actually it is relaxing. I guess I am too used to running a Walker.

4. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil LawnSite Bronze Member

its pretty easy until you have to do a 360, then i need two hands!

5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I can cut with one hand.

6. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, same here..

I can do it till there is alot to mow around or alot of turns, then I go to 2 hands..

7. Fleur De Lawn

Fleur De Lawn LawnSite Member

Yes i can when I am holding a beer in one hand that is the only logical way to operate a ztr.

8. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

Yes I can...... But safely???? If an animal ran in front of me or something, I would probably end up going in a direction that I wasn't planning on going. So I use 2 hands a good majority of the time.

9. HulkXD

HulkXD LawnSite Member

I usually use both hands, but as has been said before, when holding a branch, or taking a swig of WATER, I'll use one hand. As long as the turns aren't too sharp, it's ok. If an animal runs out in front of you, PULL BACK AND STOP.

10. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

1 hand?!? Bah! I can push the levers forward, and because they don't return to neutral on my Kubota, I can pull out the latest issue of Turf and read while I mow!

But seriously, I only use 1 hand when I am in a wide open area or when I am getting a drink. I only use 0 hands when I am fending off branches, but I go really slowly.