1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

operation of wb's?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BotetourtBoy3, May 28, 2007.

1. BotetourtBoy3

BotetourtBoy3 LawnSite Member

how do you turn walk-behinds? does the machine do it totally or do you have to mucsule it to turn it?

2. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Slow down and turn it with the hydro assisting....You use your arms to start the turn and the machine completes it..hope i explained that right....

3. MOWEMJEFF

MOWEMJEFF LawnSite Senior Member

Mines easier then turning around a push mower....it's almost like your holding it back instead of pushing it forward.

4. SSS 18734

SSS 18734 LawnSite Member

Hydro's do most of it for you. Belt drives make you use your back :weightlifter:. Unless you have plenty of room to turn around, that is.

5. BotetourtBoy3

What about hills, which operate best on hills?

6. SSS 18734

Hydro's do. By far. Belt drives are a pain on hills.

I can't think of any disadvantages of hydros except cost.

7. BotetourtBoy3

what so bad about belt on hills do they slip?

8. SSS 18734

Its not that they slip, its that you constantly have to apply brake pressure to the side that is higher up, or if you are going down a hill, you have to apply the brakes or the mower will go out of control. Lots of times the wheels will also lock up on slopes and tear up the turf. Basically, it involves slowing way down if you want to get any semblance of a straight line if its anything more than just a slight slope. Hydros eliminate all of these problems and are easier to turn around and maneuver in tight spaces.

This is from my experience with pistol grips. It might be easier with toro's T-system or Gravely's Pro-Steer system. But I haven't used either, so I don't know. I've been using my belt drive gravely for over a year now and don't get me wrong - its not awful, just inconvenient and more tiring than a hydro would be.

9. BotetourtBoy3

im sry im new to this whole wb idea of operation. I am not even sure how to turn a wb. like what are those levels like on a exmark what does the left and right one do? to go forward do you press both and to turn release one to turn the direction of the released one? plz explain thanks

10. SSS 18734

You'll see a lot of pistol grip walkbehinds - basically two handles with levers underneath them. Squeezing the levers engages the brakes. You release the levers to engage the belts and propel the mower forwards. So when you squeeze the trigger on the right, the mower turns right, and when you squeeze the trigger on the left, it turns left. If you squeeze them both, it stops.

I'd highly recommend you go to a local dealer and ask if they have any demo units available. I'm sure they'd be happy to show you the features and let you have a test run after they explain the controls.