1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

opiinions on sulkys

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by southarkansascutter, Jun 4, 2004.

1. southarkansascutter

southarkansascutter LawnSite Member

I am seriously cosidering buying a JD GS30 w/b next week and putting a sulky on it....I have never used one before and am curious which is best.....I have looked at proslides and jungle wheels ...(online only) ...I like the fact that they say the proslide helps with striping...(does it really) I have found the proslide for $359 and the Jungle wheels for $269.... Is there anything better and can I find a better price ??????

WINGNUT LawnSite Member

I use jungle wheels on my gs 30. No problems, really. Run a search for Jungle Wheels on this site and you will find the place I bought mine from. I can't remember the name, but they were 199.00 plus shipping. Best deal I found. These are the ones with the inflateable tires, not plastic training wheels.
  3. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Proslide all the way. Check ebay, I got mine for $140. It does work for striping as well. I love mine, wouldn't use anything else.

4. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a real nice lesco one. swivel castng tires.

sample pics 058.jpg
  5. Garden Panzer

Garden Panzer Banned
    from Seattle

:cool: Got to be mechanized :cool:
    Jungle Wheels has zerks all around, even the wheel bearings!
    GET 1
  6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

chef, you just wanted to post that picture again to show off that mower! Nice looking mower it is, too!

PS I still say Proslide. Nothing to grease, no zerks needed! So simple it can't break!

7. southarkansascutter

southarkansascutter LawnSite Member

I have been reading on here that the JD gs30 being belt drive and only 36 " won't pull a proslide....I like the idea and the stripes are killer.....do you think that it will pull it??????
  8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm curious, why the jungle wheels over the Velke X2? They seem very similar, but the Velke will pivot fully around and not jacknife. Is there a jungle wheels advantage elsewhere?
  9. Top Notch

Top Notch LawnSite Member

Southarkanasas.....do you guys stripe there in Texarkana?

I'm not very far south of you and we don't have any striping grasses here. Strictly St Augustine and Bermuda, neither of which stripe very noticeably.

Personally, I use Jungle Wheels, but my buddy just got a Bull Rider and I think it's better than the Jungle Wheels. If I had it to do over again, I'd get the Bull Rider. The Bull Rider has flat wide profile tires on it, while the Jungle Wheels have narrower, pointy profile tires on it. With my 200 lbs on those narrow little tires, it will rut pretty easily.

By the way, my walk behind is a 36 inch belt drive and it pulls me fine. No complaints ever on the pulling, even up hills.
  10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

The velke was the first sulky ever to be built. The x2 model is the best you can get. But it will cost you. It can fold up and out of the way, so you can walk on really steep hills. The jungle wheels are cheap. But jack knife when backing up. So you have to steer it with your feet. Very hard to do. The velky, you just jump off, back up, go foward and step back on.