Opinion for Best ZTR for Hills

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by fireman1000, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

If you set the mower up right you can mow steep stuff I found out over the years the best motor to run on steep stuff is the EFI Back when I did things with a carb motor had fuel issues steep inclines

2. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

I should take a pic of a hill by me where they guy outfitted duals on his old garden tractor to mow it. Its this steep or steeper [​IMG]

3. Realslowww

Realslowww LawnSite Bronze Member

It's about like that on the water side as steep but not as steep for as long but overall more to mow longer and wider also all torn up in spots where I use a WB and you have to weed eat. The Z will do a lot of it but you have to get it where the front is pointed up at 2 or so Oclock and you cut sliding practically sideways across with the mower and you have to be real careful or you just slide to the bottom. fortunately they put a fence up so you do not go into the crock pits. On this job you can get killed on multiple fronts. They hauled a 10 foot Gator out of a area I mow at the edge with the WB and weed eat the edge and the pond was only 50X75 and had a 10 footer living in their. I new he was there but had no idea he was 10 foot. All kinds of Rattle snakes and water Mocs . It is on a swampy marsh preserve section of I 75 in FL. If it is wet at all you cannot cut with my Z at all, maybe if I had ribbed tires? I was real impressed the way my 72 will set up in just the right position to make it happen. I really like my 72 mower, the best purchase I ever made. I was always told by dealers don't get a 72 they scalp.

4. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

I think with some guys it's an ego thing. These are the same types that throw a 60" ZTR on a small city lot just because they have one. Sometimes you just need to factor working longer into your price and work smart and safe. Money isn't worth anything if you aren't around or able to enjoy it.

5. gcbailey

from WV

The 0' to 78' is referring to the water depth from the shore....

6. Realslowww

Now that is a cutting machine, a modern 72 with duals will do that with a drive in torque mode like the new Super has, the Kabuki drive may be able to handle that as well but I don't know. I do know this these new Z's with the all in one units like the 5400 Dyna they are selling in these ZTR's will not take that kind of abuse.

7. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

You keep voiding my question Lets see a pic of your mower
    If I remember right last summer you talk a lot but never would show a pic of your setup you have

8. gcbailey

from WV

I totally agree with your statements about reducing the rim size and increasing the sidewall, but still... I guess I'm not that brave. On our Lazer Zs I run 24x12x12 HD Field Trax and they are much better than the factory turfs. I've contemplated over the years about putting some fluid in the wheels. I've looked into Rimguard but there isn't a distributor anywhere within 100+ miles. We run fluid in the tractor and it's night and day difference in stability.

9. Realslowww

I never post pictures or take them, I am real bad about that. I think the last picture I have of myself was when I was about 3 and a 1/2. I have movie cameras and plenty of cameras just do not use them. Never even loaded film in them.

I know either put up or shut up.

10. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

[​IMG]

They arn't new and they are way heavier than a normal Z. It weighs 3100 lbs