Opinion for Best ZTR for Hills

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by fireman1000, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Realslowww

Realslowww LawnSite Bronze Member

THE NEW HD 72 WEIGHS 1600 POUNDS, and that is with a small air cooled gas motor. The chasses on the Hustlers are the best built designed frames I have seen and that is why I buy them. They have these stupid problems that if they would fix would by far make the best Z design chasses wise.

I went to the Kubota dealer last year and looked at them and gee a bit involved, the Hustler weighs more than a Kabookie because it has more a good bit more steel in it. The new Hustler HD is by far the toughest made ZTR on the market. 1600 and no fat like on my TT Scag. It weighed about the same but a good 200 pounds of the mower served no purpose and was lard, just a awkward design.

Even the old Super had about the best frame chasses out there and some feel it was a better chasses than the new one because of weight and compactness, every single dealer told me the new Super HD was by far the best built Z on the market and said $ for $ it was a bargain.

The drive on the new Hustler is so underrated, with a wheel motor change you could use that system in a tractor pull. The pumps on the new Super can haul 4 or 5 thousand pounds of tractor around at a good clip.

That company should build small light pull behinds to go behind it and put 2 speed wheel motors on it and it would stomp any mower on the market for versatility and productivity. Not even close, this is where Z's are going and they are the first one up to the plate with the new drive they use on the HD that can bridge the gap between big tractor pig and small compact Z.

A true 40 or 50 horse mega Z with tow behinds I think is the wave of the future for do it all cut huge area mowers.

You would have one machine to do it all and would no longer need a Batwing pig and a Z combo.

2. Realslowww

Realslowww LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy the way the new 104 Hustler came out with is stupid and they should have built what I posted above.

3. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

This information is incorrect. The Kubota 60" gas weighs 1763 lbs. Diesel 60" weighs 1810 lbs. There is no comparison, Hustler is tiny compared to Kubota. Look at the frame, its a huge tractor frame.

4. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

60inch is 1667, and the 72 is 1770. Hustler is 1600 even for the 72. Their diesel comes in at 1760. The frame is 1.5" x 3.0" .187" steel which is just 7 gauge tube steel.

5. GMLC

Huh. I just got those numbers off the website. Ah w/fuel and without fuel. Just saw it. Either way the Hustler is no match.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. GMLC

7. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: If you want to get down to it the reason why the hustler weighs so much is because the deck is 2 11 gauge plates welded to a 7 gauge plate. Their are 2 ways of reinforcing things, bulking steel up or using a design to strengthen it.

8. GMLC

I will give Hustler honors for deck construction, but not cut quality. Hustlers frame is as good as my Gravely but no match for Kubota's.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

In shopping for mowers, Hustler wasn't even in the ballpark with the Gravely's and Deere's I am checking out....
    Need a quality cut first and foremost.

10. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

WOW You have that backwards The bigger rim with shorter sidewalls you cant run lower pressure I run 3-4 lbs in my 9'' tires on my 60'' I have never pop a tire off a rim. 25x13x9 are a low pressure tire . on my 72'' I run 5lbs never pop a bead.

Back in the 80s/90s The tires I use to run I ran them with bead locks but they was 8'' rims with shorter sidewalls But when I came across 25x13x9'' HD Field track tires never needed bead locks again.

My tires have more volume with less pressure then your tires are low volume of air= high pressure in the tire

The 25x13x9'' tires will give you a better ride over the 26x12x12'' tires

Its simple math