opinion for to dry to mow

Discussion in 'Network: South' started by hubby-wife, Jul 30, 2003.

1. hubby-wife

hubby-wife LawnSite Member

I was wandering on how many of u guys are passing on mowing some yards when they have not grown enough to mow. I have passed on some already for this reason, not enough growth to mow. Was wondering on how many others are doing the same.

My wife is also wondering how many women are in the business as owner/operators or as helpers.

Stay cool and out of the mid afternoon heat - its hot!!!

2. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

last summer in PA we had a drought did not cut June July not good.
    i try to skip a week if it looks like rain next week to keep from burning out what is left of the lawn, but that does not pay the bills
    it is a total judgment call good luck

3. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

Must of my lawns are under contract.if i don't here from the owner to pass this week then i drive by and decide.i'm not wealth so i can't skip many. also my wife worked with me the first 2 years and went on to other ventures.she is however very much involved in the business...

4. henrich

henrich LawnSite Member

I am not a contractor but do mow approximately an acres of grass every weekend. My lawn is starting to dry considerably so I mow the shaded area's to keep any weeds down that will thrive on nothing for moisture. I mow as high as the mower deck will go. I always cut my lawn at 3-1/2 inches anyway. It will stay greener longer than my neighbors that is well pruned and generally dies about a month before mine in the fall. Depending upon the amount of precipitation received in our area, I usually quit mowing grass shortly after Oct. 1 but do mulch leaves.
    Just because everyone thinks they lawn need to be nice and green with no leaves, doesn't neccesarily mean it is healthy enough to hold moisture.

5. hubby-wife

hubby-wife LawnSite Member

camland,
    did u and ur wife start out from the beginning or? My wife is planning on quitting her job in March, 04 to mow with me. We are in our start-up year and have half enough to pay the bills. We are going to have some back-up cash for 4-5 months to see if we can get the income up to livibable.

6. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

i started in the business in 1986 with a 21"craftsman, a ryan blower and ryobi trimmer.my wife got involved about 10 years ago.but like a said she went on to other things,she does however do all paper work i.e. billings estimates and phone calls.remember it's always nicer to hear a ladies voice on the phone..