(opinion)Lesco 48 Hydro walkbehind mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jt5019, Dec 23, 2005.

1. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Im looking to purchase a new walkbehind for the upcoming season. We have only ever used/had scag equipment but... im not that thrilled with the scag hydro walkbehind with the floating deck. We started shopping around and basically i came across the Lesco that seems like a very nice machine. Im interested in the 48 model hydro floating deck

I was just wondering:

1. does anyone have experience with it and whats your opinion.

2. does it compare with scag, exmark etc?Money isnt much of an issue but like i said im not big on the scags and i really didnt want a red mower.

3. Service... i never delt with Lesco before how is the service?The lesco center is only 8 miles away from me witch is another reason why im looking into this mower.

All opinions welcome..and yes i did a search and found some results but not to much on this one machine in general.

lesco.jpg

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

1) Well, the deck is great. I have the same style on my ZTR.
    The price is great and the controls are nice.
    I wouldn't mind having one to go with my Z.

2) In my opinion based on my ZTR, yes without question. Out does the eXmark. Cuts well, built tough.

3) Lesco service is going to vary location to location just like your hometown dealer. Check out your local Lesco, ask around locally, go online and check their parts inventory, ect. My service center takes good care of me. But I have heard horror stories from other locations.

3. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 48 inch lesco floating deck walk behind with the ride on sulky and a aluminum bagger. It has 90 hours on it and right now it is for sale. I cannot compare to scag but have run ferris and currently have exmark riders. The only reason that I am getting rid of it because I picked up alot of larger lawns this season and had just to much for a walk behind. The mower runs strong and cuts and stripes nice. As for service I cannot say since I never needed to take it in for anything but from friends that I have that run lesco they speak highly or the product.

4. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have scag tiger cub ztr's that i love but my scag gear drive Walk behind is getting old and needs to be replaced.I need the Walk behind mainly for my smaller accounts. Im gonna take a ride up to the Lesco place next week and check them out better and see about the service.

5. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I had one of those new lesco floating deck mowers earlier this year. You notice I say had. Got rid of it & bought another turf tracer to go with my other turf tracer. Couldn't get used to the controls, you have to use both hands all the time. With the tracers, when you get going, you can use one hand on the controls. Would not buy another, I had the 54'' model.

6. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Scag has 2 decks the advantage and the ultimate,fixed and floating the mower in the pic is a lot cheaper in price than the scags we bought, the cut seems great and they stripe good.

7. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I demoed that mower and the bunton with the same style controls. The lesco just feels cheap in every way -- maybe that's cause it's half the price of the bunton. But I went with the bunton, cheap does not pay in the long run.