Opinion needed on what to do

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by chrisvinky, Aug 25, 2007.

1. chrisvinky

chrisvinky LawnSite Senior Member

This is my backyard. This ditch runs down to the bottom of my property. I had it dug about three years ago due to lots of holes and tunnels under the ground.

Now it is starting to get really deep (a couple feet in some places) and is starting to tunnel back under the yard.

I thought about filling up with rock or gravel and laying down some kind of plastic or barrier for the water to run down, then putting in creek rock all the way down. I don't know anything about this kind of stuff, I just mow grass LOL.

Top of the yard where the ditch starts
    [​IMG]

Looking down toward the bottom of the ditch
    [​IMG]

2. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

You've effectively built a french drain without the rock. So yah, might as well finish it off with some river rock. It's much safer that way, for sure. It will also be a little more attractive.

3. WigginsLandscaping

WigginsLandscaping LawnSite Member

I agree.River rock would look really nice. Hiowever the expense will not be so forgiving. If you do use the like a field stone which is what I did be sure to level everthing first. Apply some heavy duty black plastic . This should take care of it for good. I didnt put the plastic down and we are spraying weeds all the time

4. chrisvinky

chrisvinky LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys.
    I am going to go this week to price some rock.

5. leaflandscape

leaflandscape LawnSite Member

A nice moat's always a nice feature, you could line it with pond liner and introduce a nice dragon to make it authentic. Or the idea JIm had might be more practical.

6. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Will water wash the rock out it seems to me,it looks like it needs rip rap.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Yep I agree maybe put something bigger than 1' river rock but it depends on how much water comes from uphill.

8. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

nice. As borat would say.

9. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

To avoid having a ditch in your back yard , I would clean it out , fill it with gravel , #5 or bigger , cover with landscape fabric , soil then sod . I have seen lots of yards this steep with no ditch for drainage - ditches will always erode , hold mosquito breeding pools , and present a maintenance headache .

10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I guess it depends on how much water flows down there at any given time. There are lots of different sizes of river rock, at least around where I live. I would use 6"-8" river rock in that case. The water ain't gonna move that. And it's a whole heck of a lot nicer to look at than rip rap. I'd never install rip rap in my back yard. Ugh!