Opinion Needed

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Hopper1124, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Hopper1124

Hopper1124 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

First this is not an advertisement I need feedback from service providers on an idea.

Do any of you send personalized Thank you cards to all customers not just once but every 3 months. Not just Thank you cards but also we need referrals, Happy Birthday and Holiday among other. If you don't is it because of time or what? I need honest opinions please. Would you be interested if a company would do this for you and freed you up to do the things you need to do?

Example you send 50 customers 10 cards over 3 year period
    All cards handwritten and personalized, stamped and mailed.
    You receive detail report of who was sent a card, and you get customer appreciation and a customer for life
    Cost example
    50 customers 10 cards each over 3 years cost to you
    $417.00 a year

Any thoughts this is just someting I am working on and need opinions.

Thank you very much
    Kevin

2. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

There are many companies that do this service for a fee. But, I think the reason that many people don't do this is, its not necessary. A thank you card and a christmas card in and of itself is going above and beyond. I think many customers would just round file the cards from the landscaper if they came all the time. The element of surprise is what makes them extra special anyway. No one expects a card from their landscaper...if they got 10 a year, I think they would begin to expect them. 50 customers x 2 times a year x 3 years = a little over a $100.00 and a lot less headaches.

3. Hopper1124

from Ohio

Thanks for the reply, What I was thinking was 10 cards over a 3 year period not in one year it would be 4 the first year 3 the second and 3 the third. 10 in one year is to many. I am just trying to gage which service providers would be interested so far it seems Lawn and Landscape company's don't feel they would use a service like this. I just getting a feel, I do know that I have had several service providers do work for me and friends before and none have received anytype of thank you after the job was finished. Just the other day I was talking with 3 ladies and one mentioned they needed a roofer one said she couldn't remember who she used but liked the work, #2 knew right away because she said about every 4 months they receive something in the mail from them and just remembers the name from seeing it . Thats were my idea started to form.
    Thanks again

4. Freshcut Lawn Care

Freshcut Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you's from folks like us can come in many ways and sending cards will work in many instances!

I believe that no more than 2 per year would be required.

This service would not be used by someone like myself!

If we want to keep our name out there, we could try announcing new services in a newsletter.

We could include coupons for some sort of discount for a new service provided. Maybe a discount of 25% off an aeration job, if we do (or did) other work for them.

Include the benefits of this service as well!

Some may actually bite and we will get the extra work we would be looking for!

:blush:

5. Hopper1124

from Ohio

Thanks for the reply, I understand this type of service isn't for every company and maybe I should focus more on sales professionals or similar.

I used to have a Landscape Company about 8 years ago ran it for 6 years I always said I will send cards or create a newsletter but I never did just to busy working my butt off. The reason I want to send cards would be to show Appreciation to the customer 4 differnt cards a year is not to much. Newsletters are a nice touch but dosen't show appreciation it's more of an advertisement selection. Thanks again for the thoughts
    Kevin

6. boblawn

boblawn LawnSite Member

no but, I do send each of my customers hand written Christmas cards.

7. activelandscaping

activelandscaping LawnSite Member

I send out scorecards after we have finished a installation, size of a postcard , no postage necessary. They can grade A-F in each of the following categories: Quality, Organization, Professionalism and Neatness. 3 lines for comment's under each of these: Were all your questions answered in a timely and professional manner ?
    Would you use us again for other work ?
    Would you refer us to your friends/family ?
    Then a check box with one line: may we use you as a referral ? Phone #

Regards,
    Active