1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Opinion of Hustler Super Z?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowinginva, Jul 22, 2008.

1. mowinginva

mowinginva LawnSite Senior Member

I'd like to know what opinions are out there on the Hustler Super Z's performance. Think it's a good mower?
  2. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

The general consensus is that Z needs the 31hp Kawasaki to truly harness its full potential due to the 21cc pumps.
  3. you will find people here that like them and people that don't like them, I like them and they work good for me.
  4. mowinginva

What about one w/ a 30 HP Kohler?
  5. I have them, they work great no problems, actually if I sell a couple I will be running all yellow.
  6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Extremely durable
    Excellent handling for a ztr
    Ground speed

XR-7 clogged up everyday
    This year, they became too expensive compared to others

I switched from Hustler to Gravely this year. They don't handle quite as well but have the same size pumps and lots of Kawasaki power. The Gravely X-Factor deck is absolutely awesome and slightly less damaging on the wallet.

What would it take for me to go back to Hustler? I could actually handle the higher price tag but not when it buys a mower deck that performs worse than something from Lowe's.
  7. mowinginva

Does the XR-7 deck make a smooth cut? Throw the grass well? Other than clogging, are there other problems w/ it?
  8. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

i must agree.i have a hustler and i don't like the cut it leaves on my st.augustine customers,unless it is a perfectly level yard
  9. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

If the turf is fairly dry, you're fine. It cuts very clean.

If the turf is wet, moist, or just healthy with a lot of moisture "inside" the blades of grass, my decks would start clogging up underneath and then they'd spit out clumps that looked terrible. I grew very tired of mowing accounts and then going out there with the EB8000 blowing clumps of grass to smooth things out. If you mow moist turf, invest in a very good painter's 5-n-1 scraping tool. On wet days, you'll crawl underneath the deck several times a day cleaning things out.
  10. Grassbuster

Grassbuster LawnSite Member

I have the Hustler Z with a 25 kaw. The power is good even on hills since the Z has smaller pumps than the Super Z. It cuts ok, Exmark cuts better. It does not throw the grass as far as the Emark either. Service is easy and easy is get at. I purchased the suspension seat and after 2 months the tips of the arm rest broke off - no warranty due to normal wear and tear!@!. Gas consumption on the kawe is minimal, I run the thing all day on one tank, hardly ever have to switch to the second tank. Good luck with your decision.