Opinion on 52" Scag WB

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Alluring Lawns, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Alluring Lawns

Alluring Lawns LawnSite Member

I am thinking of buying an 03' Scag 52" Wb Hydro, with approx. 1200 hrs, 17hp Kawisaki, looks like a really nice machine and the price is 1850.00. Just wondering what you guys think about the price. I currently have a John Deere 36" WB belt drive, and think the two mowers will work well for most any job. Any input at all is greatly appreciated.

P.S. Are Hydros much better than belt.

Thanks

2. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

hydros are much better then belt i had a belt 48 for like 4 months then sold it for a hydro

3. Mr Priceless

Mr Priceless LawnSite Senior Member

it depends....will the walkbehind suit your purposes?
    for example:
    Back Gate size
    Power
    Lawn size in general
    Excercise
    Hilly areas
    Dependability
    etc
    etc

4. Mr Priceless

i personally think that large walk behinds (above 48" cut) are pointless when there are ZTRs with smoother operations, more power, and significantly more speed. I figured that walkbehinds are for areas such as backyards with relatively small back gates, first-time account cuts, and fairly steep hills (but then you need a "fairly" powerful engine with hydralics for that purpose anyway.

And yes, hydro is most definately better than belt, considering you get a more effective response to "zero" turns and you don't have to replace brakepads

5. Alluring Lawns

Alluring Lawns LawnSite Member

I have a couple 30,000+ sq. ft lawns and it is way too much for the 36" Wb, but it can be done, but I think getting the 52" for $1,850 putting a sulky on would be a very cost effective way to do the large lawns.

6. Mr Priceless

i guess you should go for it if you don't have a ZTR and don't plan to get one in the near future.

From what i've heard, the 52" cutting deck is a bit more heavy duty built than most smaller cutting decks.

If you are to pick it up, i suggest giving it a test as far as running the engine for 20 minutes, and slowly adjust the throttle tp check for hidden probs. Also, check to see that everything was well maintained and lubed accordingly. You know, just do the routine checklist. If all goes well, add the mower to your arsenal.

7. LTDLawnCare

LTDLawnCare LawnSite Member

I have an 02' scag 52" with hydros. I get enough excercise with other things so i have a sulky for it. I use is for just about everything. I recommend this mower to anyone. Make sure it is in good condition and everything works. Very Sturdy mower but no to big to maneuver. Price is good too.

8. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

I too have a older 52"scag hydro walk which is underpowered at 14 horse ( remember its older and many years ago it was ok ) i will be remotoring this year to at least a 19 horse and maybe bigger 17 v twin might be ok on the 52 walk that your looking at but cant be sure if you buy it first thing i do would change oil and hydro fluid and other maint stuff . I payed 3 years ago 2500 for this machine so you may be ok but another thing to think about is a general rule of thumb........ 100 hrs per horse per life of machine so you are at about 30 % useful life left on this machine maybe more maybe less depending on how it was maintained and used .I havent got 2300 hrs out of a 17 horse before and then another one i only got 1300 hrs before it cut loose just something to think about

9. Holders Residential

Holders Residential LawnSite Member

I have a 52 hydro advantage deck that I bought last year at first I wasnt sure about it but the more I used it the better I liked it. I bought it for 4000.00 with 80 hrs on it. Its a floating deck with 17 h.p. kaw. it also has aset of jungle wheels. As i got used to it I was noticing I was getting done with residential yards before other companies were with bigger more expensive riders. It was more manuverable on these smaller yards and the slightly slower speed eliminated most double cutting. By the end of the year I was using it more than my ZTR . Now my rider is up for sale and my new scag w.b. just came in. The only thing I noticed I did not like about the mower is it sometimes scalped on the outside edges if the ground wasnt level enough. Scag models dont have anti scalp rollers on the outer part of the deck like alot of their competitors do. But this was not a big problem when I started to figure out what it could and could not do. Buy the way the cut quality is great