Opinion on 84' Ford

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by LTDLawnCare, Feb 6, 2007.

1. LTDLawnCare

LTDLawnCare LawnSite Member

I am going on my second season in the lawn care business and i am looking to expand. I am working on getting two 48'' mowers. I already have one scag 52". This morning i looked at an 84' ford Dump truck. It is a diesel f350 which seems so be well maintained. Engine runs fine and dump works well. There is 154,000 mi on the original engine and it has only had one owner. He is asking $2500. Please let me know what you think.Thank You

-Ryan LTD LawnCare
  2. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have a whole lot of experience with the old 6.9L diesels, but they seemed to be a good engine from what I have gathered. Go to www.dieselstop.com, those guys in the 6.9 forum will be able to tell you what to check for etc. good luck.
  3. LTDLawnCare

Dieselstop gave me a lot of good information about the motor but what do you think about the price?
  4. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

offer him 2000 grand for it, it that deisel breaks down it is an expensive repair, I would rather have an old gas engine than an old deisel.
  5. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Id try to bring him way down in the price. More like $1500 for it since its an 84
  6. LTDLawnCare

I would go way down on the price but i have been looking in the area and it seems that you can't find a decent looking dump truck for under $5000. Is anyone else seeing this in their area?
  7. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

I bought my first dump in Boston. I was living on the Cape at the time. Bought a 1986 F350 with a 6.9 diesel. I had that truck for 5 years and replace the water pump 2 times. Bought it in 93 for 7,000.00 and sold it in 97 for $8,100.00.....had 2 guys fighting over it! lol

I would pull the trigger on it if I were you. Original owner and in decent shape? Dumps that are not abused are a tuff find.
  8. LTDLawnCare

I was thinking the exact same thing. I am not saying that I am not considering the advice the rest of you have given me. It seems as though it is really hard to find a decent dump truck in this area for under 5k
  9. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

i would jump on it!
  10. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

When I was looking for my first dump, I test drove many newer models that were falling apart. Totally beat! The roads up there are abusive and add to it usually an "employee of the day" is driving the dump truck and they usually beat on them! If you find one that's been plowed.........forget it! lol