1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

opinion on flyers

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by lawn8646, Mar 10, 2004.

1. lawn8646

lawn8646 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I like to hang door hangers just out of courtesy to the homeowner. In my area flyers are all over the lawn and driveways daily. Door hangers take awhile to put out, just curious what you guys do to cover as much ground as possible quickly. I know I get tired of picking up the competitors flyers off of my accounts lawns.
  2. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

I feel that the best advertising is an insert flyer in your local newspaper. #1 you can pick and chose which areas your flyers go to. #2 you reach a larger # of households than you ever could on foot. and #3 If you look at the costs it costs you to design, print, copy, and hand deliver your flyers or hangers, it is actually more cost effective. Thats something you should look into.

By the way, I to have gotten competitors flyers at my customers homes. If I get them first, they never make it to the customer.:cool: Maybe thats wrong, but you have to look out for your own.
  3. KL Squared

KL Squared LawnSite Member

I started last year mailing post cards. The cost is 23 cents per. The customer recieves it in his mail. I found that flyers were too quickly being thrown away before they were read. I mailed out 1000 post cards last year and gained 10 new yards. That meets the standard industry return of 1%. The cost was $230.00 postage and $80.00 printing cost. I got lucky that my wife's company had the software to generate the address labels for me.

This year my company had to purchase the software. The cost was $400.00. We are in a major growth phase so we are going to hit 7500 homes. If we can get 75 new customers the cost is well worth it. The software is the key. We advertise in areas that are near customers already under contract. This reduces our drive time and makes scheduling more efficient.

Finally, I would rather mail directly to the customer rather than to spend hours driving or walking putting out flyers that at times got nearly as many people calling to complain about the flyer as were calling about lawn care. Time is money. I find this to be my best method to advertise. Sorry for such a long answer.
  4. lawn8646

lawn8646 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Thanks for the comment. I will have to check into the cost to send flyer in paper. One day last week at 19 stops I had picked up 33 flyers. Decided to quit counting.