Opinion on Haulmark Enclosed Trailers???

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by birdturd9726, Feb 12, 2009.

1. birdturd9726

birdturd9726 LawnSite Member

what is everyone opinion on haulmark trailers. i am looking at the following 7x14 trailers:

7x14 hualmark transport
    2x4 frame
    tandem axles w/ spring suspension & drum brakes
    extended 54" tongue
    plywood walls
    roof and side vents
    Crossmembers 24in On Center | Verticle Posts 16in On Center
    66-3/4 in Z Posts
    cost = about $4300

7x14 haulmark kodiak
    2x6 frame
    tandem forflex axles w/ brakes
    30" tongue
    plywood walls
    roof vent (side vents not included in price)
    not sure about the on centers
    extra height 12" total
    cost = $4900

the only thing i am worried about with the transport is that they are no longer built with a boxed steel frame. They are now built with "Z" frame to connect the walls. Anyone have an opinion on this?

I also have the opportunity to buy a used trailer:

2004 7x16 haulmark Kodiak LS (landscape model)
    the guy used it to haul quads and snowmobiles upstate
    dual torsion flex axles
    electric brakes
    side vents, roof vent, ladder racks
    plywood inside

pretty nice shape
    the guy is firm on $4000
    pictures are of this trailer

i would rather buy a new trailer, but dont want to spend too much. The only thing is this used trailer costs the same as a transport and i get fresh new tires and brakes, a trailer with 0 miles and a warranty.

what would you guys do. I need a trailer asap because the season might break a little early, but i am trying to stay under $5200 all said and done w/ taxes and such

would you guys recommend a different brand??
    please advise, thanks

3kb3o53l1ZZZZZZZZZ91vc1ccc978eb1b12ca.jpg

3mb3p63lfZZZZZZZZZ91udcd53698defa18c3.jpg

3nb3md3odZZZZZZZZZ91v8ed9ba2a01691bd7.jpg

3ne3m53p7ZZZZZZZZZ91u209c847d343a18cc.jpg

2. JosephLawnCare

JosephLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Get springs, stay away for the rubber torflex axles. 4k for the one pictured is too much. Yea it looks pretty but you can find a new one for that price. What are you going to do with the 6x12 in your sig? I HAD a 20' us cargo and it fell about in 2 years. The rubber axles were the first things to go bad. I think hallmark is a good brand, seem well built.

3. birdturd9726

the 6x12 i put on craigslist fora high price and someone came w/ cash the next day and wanted it then, so i sold it.

Haulmark was always highly regarded, but i spoke to a dealer who use to sell them and he said their now crap. Then i called another dealer and he informed me of this "Z' frame side supports, which im not sure how good they are.

that used trailer is nice and all and its an upper model, but its still a 2004 and is used and not new. New it is probably around $6500 - $7000. I don't think its worth more than half of what he bought it for. I offered him $3500 and then said would split the difference for $3750 and he said no. So if i wanted it, it would be $4000.

any other opinions on these haulmarks.
    and any experiences with this "z" frame

4. Advanced Lawn Care  Inc.

Advanced Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Member
    from IN

5. birdturd9726

6. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

just curious, but how much did you sell your 6x12 for? I don't need one, but for the right price i'll sell mine and get a 7x16 tandem

7. birdturd9726

mine was a 2006 us cargo trail and sport
    it was one of us cargo's basic models, no frills.
    i bought it from a construction company and it needed some work, so i re-did the inside w/ plywood walls and built a shelf and put down a floor.
    i fixed the few lights broken and the broken plastic roof vent.
    i bought it for $1400 and put about $300 in it.
    I listed it for $3000 and the guy gave me $2900
    So i couldn't go wrong selling it.

how do you like your haulmark 6x12?
    what year is it and what model?

8. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Good deal. I'm looking to do the same too, but i really don't need a new trailer. I like it other then the outside cosmetic condition. I had some pricks spraypaint some stupid **** on it and i used graffedi remover to try and get it off, and ended up stripping the black off the aluminum. I also caulked the molding at the worst time possible. I did it one night, and then had rain the next day and pretty much blead on the walls. Its impossible to get both of them out. It doesn't look terrible, most people wouldn't care, but i' like it looking new. I washed it every week and looked great up until the caulk and spraypaint. The only problem i had with it was the wires for the electric brakes kept getting pinched between the springs and cutting them. Once that was fixed, not another problem after that. It doesnt have plywood walls, which i don't need anyways but i did add trimmer racks on the walls which i bolted to the top metal rail, diamond plate floor ramp, and a table up front. its a 2005 transport model.

9. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

Haulmark came to my area a few years ago. They had a huge price reduction. A ton of the LCO bought them up. That was four years ago. Those trailers look like crap now. I am glad I did not buy one. I know of a guy that had complete axle failure while only towing two walkers. I saved up and bought a top of the line American Hauler. They are the parent company of US cargo. The American Hauler brand has most of the US Cargo upgrades as standard features. I got LED lights, every beam on 12" centers, extended tongue, four wheel disc brakes, torshion axles, and 3/4" plywood floor, for $5600. I know it is a little high, but the trailer is now 6 years old and looks like the day I bought it. I highly recommend the rubber torshion axles. It makes the trailer ride like it's on a air coushion. The problem with the 24" centers is that the wood wraps under the weight of the heavier mowers. Hope this helps out a little.

10. birdturd9726

i had a us cargo trail n sport which is the basic model w/ 24" on centers and a single axle. I only drive my tuck and trailer so i think i am going to go with the transport. The transport is a lot better than the trail n sport, which worked out fine for me.

I have heard some bad things about the rubber torsion axles with them breaking after a few years. I think i am going to go with springs, especially that now i will have tandem axles, the ride will improve drastically.

right now im going to go to the haulmark dealer to look at them again(of course the only haulmark dealer is 45 miles away). I will let you guys know when i get back. I will be ordering it from a cheaper place and picking it up at the factory.