1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

opinion on High Octane Gas

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MikeGA, Apr 1, 2001.

1. MikeGA

MikeGA LawnSite Member

What is everyone's opinion on high octane gas in power equipment? Do you think it lengthens the life of the engines or hurts them? Is it really 20 cents/gal better? I had a friend who hauled gas to service stations and he told me, before he was killed, he pumped the gas into the truck from the main terminal and when he reach the station he poured a little can, about 1/2 pint, per 500 gal for mid grade and 2 cans for hioctane. But the Amaco hioctane IS SUPPOSE to be cleaner. I don't remember where it came from, but ALL of the other main oil companys (BP, Exxon, Chevron, etc) pumped the gas out of the SAME terminal!
  2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I would go by the recommended octane, I think it's 87 for mowers. I use the mid grade for my mixed gas because they recommend that. I know my old Chevy used to be able to tell the difference when I pulled my trailer. It would knock and ping, knock and ping with the cheap stuff but quiet down and run better with the high dollar gas. They must put octane boost in it or something cause it does make a difference.
  3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, it is pretty much all in the additive each company uses. Talk about some strong stuff!

Well back on the subject, we use 87 in all the equipment, if it isn't recommended it is probably better not to use high octane. My truck is a different story, it is a 95 with a 302 and it doesn't like 87, even though it should run on it fine. Most new vehicles run fine on 87, in fact some don't run as well on 93, the burn rate is too slow.
  4. skyphoto

skyphoto LawnSite Member

I thought the rule was if it does not knock or ping then dont use the higher octane as it just put more emissions into the air with the higher octanes.....But this is not a fact just what I thought?????

5. MikeGA

MikeGA LawnSite Member

I was just wondering, I went to a small engine class SEVERAL YEARS AGO and the guy teaching it said to use the higher octane because "it is refined more and will burn cleaner and will leave the firing chamber cleaner and wont gum up the valves and you will have a better seal on the valves after a long run time......." I thought it was a bunch of hog wash but i ran it for a while because the volume of gas I used in small engines didn't make an enormous difference AND the price of gas wasn't near what it is now.
  6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

all oil companies have their own additives. it is true maybe mobil, exxon and chevron lets say, may share a terminal where they pump out. each oil company puts a nozzle on the end to mix in their own additives with the fuel. so gas is not all the same. i run mid grade in all my equipment.
  7. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Several years ago I read an article in a trade magazine about using high octane gasoline in 2 stroke equipment. The article stated that regular 87 octane gasoline can have up to 10% alcohol added to it without the gas company having to tell you. Higher octane gases cannot use alcohol. What difference does this mean to you and I? Well, alcohol and 2 stroke oil do not mix. That means that that brand new T230 you just plunked your hard earned money down for, may seize up and when you try to have it warrantied the dealer will tell you that you were using alcohol in the fuel which is specifficly prohibited. You're SOL. Since I read that article I've run nothing but Super Premium in all my 2 stroke equipment. Better to be safe than sorry.
  8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

ive seen cars that you couldnt run the good stuff in,
    but all my machines get it.I pull my trailer with a ranger
    and it really makes a difference there.

LWNMWRMN Banned

your higher octane fuels also have a detergent in them. It is required ( says the owners manual from echo ) that you must run a 89 or higher octane fuel in their equipment. I could go on all day about fuel, but i'll try to keep it short. Ever notice at the gas station they have three or four pumps?...they only have two tanks.the 87 octane and the good stuff. the 87 is military grade spec...it's the same no matter were you get it. the high octane has the good things in it(or should i say the bad stuff out of it ie alcohol.) The mid grades are a blend of the two. The detergents in fuel are the best thing for you air cooled two cycles for the reason of KEEPING IT CLEAN. if the engine is full of deposits it can't cool, the engine relies on being clean to be able to transfer the heat from the piston to the rings to the cylinder to the fins and then cooled by the air from the flywheel.
  10. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I put 87 in everything! I've read that if your vehicle runs fine on 87, use 87. Your wasting your money putting in premium.