Opinion on John Deere z225

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bowhunter34, May 4, 2011.

1. bowhunter34

bowhunter34 LawnSite Member

Hey guys, Im a 20 year old horticulture student, and I have recently acquired a few basic residential lawn maintenance accounts. I have a push mower right now, but have decided to upgrade to a John Deere z225, 42" cut. I was just wondering if any of you guys have ever used one, and if it would be sufficient for relatively small yards.... Opinions/suggestions greatly appreciated.

2. TNGrassCutter

TNGrassCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Get ready for the usual "buy a used commercial walk behind" answers. But I'd have to agree, especially with that deck size get a decent used or even new WB with sulky and let her fly.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. bowhunter34

well its the riding one.... smallest one they got. I was just going to buy a new one, but I didn't know if i needed to go with something bigger

4. bowhunter34

ohhh, Im sorry yeah i got you now. People are going to say i need a commercial walk behind.. lol sorry bout that. But I think it would do fine for what i need it for

5. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Senior Member

So why did you come on here and ask how it will work?

6. bowhunter34

Well maybe because I wanted a second opinion. Why did you feel the need to comment on this?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Senior Member

Because I was going to give a second opinion of dont waste your money, as I have been there and done that.
    You were given a second opinion and ignored it.

8. magilla12

magilla12 LawnSite Member

My lawn business is part time, and I started with two accounts, one 5 acre commercial account and one other, not including mine and my mothers that I mow for free. I started with a Z445 with a 54" deck and a push mower. I think the Z was an ok mower for starting out, but I traded it after a year for a commercial Z. If I could have a do over, I would have started with the commercial unit. There is no comparison to the quality of cut from a Z445 or 225 to a Z900 series.

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  9. bowhunter34

yeah, I looked at some of the bigger commercial mowers but right now I just don't have the money for one of those. Maybe after I get a few more accounts, and some with some bigger lots

10. bowhunter34

I guess basically im just trying to figure out if John Deere makes as good of a product as everyone says, and ultimately whether to go with the 225 or 425