1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Opinion on John Deere z225

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bowhunter34, May 4, 2011.

1. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

The only opinion to have is to screw around with homeowner equipment and get a commercial machine.

2. magilla12

magilla12 LawnSite Member

IMO JD makes good stuff. A Z225 Will be a good mower to start with. They cut good, handle good. Like I said I started with a 445 and it did ok but on tall grass I would have to double cut some.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. bowhunter34

bowhunter34 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses. It helped a lot

4. jcbabb

jcbabb LawnSite Member

I run a Z225 and it's a decent mower. I got a good deal on it used for $1000, and I've used it now going on my third year. It is definitely not as durable as a commercial unit, but it gets the job done. I am constantly re-adjusting the deck height, the deck is quite flimsy, and I even take really good care of it. Basically it does what it was designed for: mowing light duty, part-time.

It has definitely paid for itself, but I would not recommend buying one new. For that price, you can get a new commercial gear drive walk behind and eliminate all of the hassles of using homeowner equipment commercially.

5. bowhunter34

Thank you... thats exactly what I was looking for. Ive always heard that the deck is where the money is at so that is good advice. Thank you, and ill definately check out a WB

6. LawnCareNoobie

LawnCareNoobie LawnSite Senior Member

Most of the time, you get what you pay for.

Spend $1000 and you will get $1000 worth of product. Spend $10,000 and you will get a better product.

Whatever you do, don't think that you are getting that JD farm tractor quality if you buy a $1800 JD mower at Lowes.

7. bowhunter34

I ended up getting a 445. Wish it would have been 1800. I wouldn't buy a mower at Lowes even if it was 1800 because of their customer service

8. magilla12

magilla12 LawnSite Member

I think you made a good choice, I had good luck with mine. Just remember it's not a commerical unit so be careful with the deck and make sure to check the deck level and tire pressure. My deck was way off when I picked it up.