Opinion on Kohler motors

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by FIRESCOOBY, Apr 9, 2002.

1. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

Well...lets try it this way...

What is y'alls opinion on Kohler motors in the 16-17.5 mpg range?

Service, reliability, service life, etc.

2. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Do you mean 16-17 MPG or 16-17 HP? <G>

I have no experience, can't answer ya.

3. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: fire, my kohlers range from 20-25 horse, and are relatively problem free. keep in mind i change the oil and service the air cleaner weekly. on the average i recieve about 2800 hours out of an engine. tony

4. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

Meant 16-17.5 HP

Thanks General Grounds...what would a good service interval be for normal use...every 10 hours?

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The mower will fall apart long before the engine does. Do yourself a favor and buy an hour meter for the engine. They are invaluable for knowing when to change the oil and filter. Hour meters can usually be purchased where commercial mowers are sold.

Kohler Command engines normally need the oil changed at 100 hours and the filter at 200 hours (factory recommeded) although a lot of people cut those intervals in half including me. You new mower should come with a very nice manual for the Kohler engine that explains all of the maintenance requirements in detail.

You can put Mobil 1 synthetic oil in the engine after the first oil change.

6. tim cooper

tim cooper LawnSite Member

is there a specific weight to mobil 1 synthetic? just bought a exmark with 15 hp kohler

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Use the same weight that is recommended by the engine manufacturer. It should be 10w30 for your Kohler. There may be a notation about using 10w30 above a certain temperature, you can disregard that when using Mobil 1.