Opinion on lawn mower

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by dlite, Mar 7, 2007.

1. dlite

dlite LawnSite Member

I just moved into a new house with a 1.5 acre lot. My initial thought was to get a ZTR mower (Toro is what I was considering) which costs in the neighborhood of $2,500. I was talking to a guy who's in the landscape business and he recommended an Exmark residential mower. My property has it's share of tree's but it's certainly not wooded. So the question is do I go w/my original thought and go w/Toro or some similar model which costs around the same, or step up to the Exmark. I can't seem to find anywhere on the internet which lists prices for the Exmark ZTR residential mowers - not even on Exmark's website. So just wanted to get some opinions on what I should do, and if anyone has an idea how much the Exmark residential mowers cost. Thanks.

2. lawnstriper23

lawnstriper23 LawnSite Senior Member

3. dlite

dlite LawnSite Member

Thanks Lawnstriper - I'm in North Carolina. But throwing the Hustler into the mix probably isn't a bad idea.

4. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

that is a great mower for your size yard. the hustler is a more stoutly built mower than the toro. i have this mower. do a search and read some of the post i and other people have made regarding this mower.
    an exmark residential is going to run you close to 2x's your target price.

5. lawnstriper23

lawnstriper23 LawnSite Senior Member

Ohio is closer than you think :) Can you imagine the drive up thinking about picking up this mower. Time will fly by while you daydream about cutting your grass on a new Hustler MFT. Aww, just think about driving down the highway on your way home from Ohio with the Hustler mower and having some sorry sap in the car next to you wishing they had this mower. Now I have you thinking huh?

6. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

There are all sorts of residential zero turn mowers available - all with similar pricing.
    Depending upon how long you want to keep your large property I would suggest looking for a gently used commercial unit available from a turf equipment dealer near you.
    Why?
    Accessories, like baggers, front mounted spring tine rakes, the ability to put a tow hitch on the back for your garden trailer, chipper, etc.
    Not to mention non OEM parts and blades availability.
    Best thing is a used machine is available in your price range and since you will be using it residentially should you decide to sell it the commercial machine maintains it's value much beyond what a residential unit will.

7. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

what kind of "gently used" commercial ztr is available in the $2500 price range???????

8. dlite

dlite LawnSite Member

NMURPH, Sounds like Hustler may be an option.......how much does a new Hustler Mini Fastrack normally cost?

Txgrassguy, since I'm a novice in the lawn mower world, what would "gently used" commercial mower equate to? I'm assuming a certain number of hours but no idea what it would be.

9. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Most good, used commercial turf equipment can be found with under a thousand hours - usually lease turn ins or defaults on loans.
    In order to find the most brokers for used equipment you have to utilize different search engines on the web to really search for those dealers/brokers out there.
    I come across used turf equipment all of the time, a for instance I purchased about two months ago a 2003 Exmark 36" Turf Tracer dual hydo walkbehind, with velkie and the machine had only 375 hours on it. I paid $1550.00 for it. This is a $4800 machine new in my area.
    Previously I bought a Gravely PM260 60" ztr with 1100 hrs on it for $1400 - this was a 2001 machine I bought in late '05. This machine new is over $7,000 in my area.
    Prior to that I bought a Toro 216-G 7' wide utility tri-plex mower for $1495.00 with only 535 hours on it. New this machine is sold for over $15,000. This is the only machine that I have to do any amount of work too, mostly from sitting, but it is fully operational and I have interested people who want the machine. I'll sell it for over $5K easy. Counting my labor and parts in the reel mower I have invested $600 over my purchase price.

10. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Check on ebay they usually have some good used equipment