Opinion on possible trade

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by pjslawncare/landscap, Jan 11, 2004.

1. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Used car dealer has a 81 International 1724 dump truck with 10 ft rock bed, power steering & hydroulic brakes, Gas motor (345 I think), 5 speed x 2. He sais it has 60k miles on it. Starts and run excellent and most everything works well. Bed a little rough (I can fix). Body has a few busted fiberglass areas (I can fix and paint). Glass all good. Bed raises good and fast, doesnt bleed down noticably.
    I dont know too much about International trucks. Any pros or cons I am not aware of?
    I am considering a trade of my 86 F-350 dump. My truck is too small and motor (460) uses lots of oil. Everything else in great shape. Heres a picture

1 ton dump.jpg

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

GAS... YUCK! How much is the guy asking for it? Is it an even trade? I am not big on gas, especially on that size truck. :cool:

3. pjslawncare/landscap

He is asking $4200 for it. Yes, Id rather have a deisel. It wont get used every day or anything. Just need something bigger than I have now. Havent discussed what trade arragement yet with him. I may drive my truck there and talk then. Im thinking even trade. Dont care for used car dealers though, but they want to make money :cool2: . We will see

4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

What type of landscaping do you do? An int'l is kinda large for just maintenance. :cool:

5. pjslawncare/landscap

I need it for rock, dirt & mulch. Yes, I could have it delivered, but I like having the flexability of getting it when I need it and I use my tractor to scoop it out of the back of truck. I can move it close to where Im working. It works out good for me, I just want to carry more than I can with my 1 ton now.

6. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

I know diesels are better, but the 345 is a tough, tough motor. My Dad had one in a IH truck years ago. If your not putting many miles on it, I won't worry too much about the motor in this case.
    Has it been inspected? Will the dealer have it done prior to sale? I did'nt notice what state you are in, but Maryland state inspection is brutal .

7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

What is the gvw on the 1700 if its less than 30,000lbs I wouldn't bother with it because you can't carry much material. The truck is going to be pretty underpowered and burn lots of fuel you will end up burning more fuel than its worth.

I knew a guy that had a L series Ford single axle with 33,000lb gvw and gas power the truck burned so much fuel you couldn't make any money with the truck.

If you are going with a single axle dump you better off finding a diesel a International with 466 power would be nice. You probably can find a 1800 or 1900 International with 466 power single axle dump.

The other good truck is the L series Ford with 3208 Cat power I would stay away from the ones with the 8.2 Detroit fuel pincher. The F-Series medium duties are not that great if you want a truck you want one that you get one with a truck cab like the L or International.

Dad has a 1800 with 404 gas power and 5+2 the truck is good unloaded but loaded its a snail on the road. I worked with a really old Loadstar 1700 with the same 345 power the truck struggled on every hill.

I can imagine your current truck burns alot of fuel the 460s are pretty thirsty engines loaded or empty. If you only need a 2wd have you considered a F-Superduty (450) they have a 15,000lb gvw no problems carrying 7000lbs. I have had close to 9000lbs on mine a tad heavy but the truck did it. You can find a F-Superduty pretty reasonably it is no larger than your F-350 dimensionally but carrys alot more weight.

Those old F-350s like your lack braking power I had a old 1980 Ford 350 it was terrible trying to stop the truck the 351m was gutless.

Good Luck

8. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

He is asking about one truck, the international. Not about a Ford L-series, ford medium duties, an F 450, or anything else he you can dream up. As far as the 3208 cat being a good, motor yea right what a piece of junk its a one time motor. The 1700 has a gvw between 25,000 and 26,000. With the International he can easly carry the same amount of material as his F 350 or more, with out being under powered or lacking braking ability.

My thoughts:

The truck will use more gas then your using with the Ford F 350. However you will be able to carry more material than your F 350 because you have doubled your GVW you have gone from 11,500 to 25,000 and then some. While I am not a big fan of 2 speed rear ends, i think that with the gas powered truck it will only help its performance. By the sounds of your current F 350, it sounds like its mechanical condition is weak, but body good. While the 1700 is strong at the mechanical side, but the body is less than perfect. Well its a no brainer buy the truck. However, remember that you will be delivering more material in a trip, but it will cost more in fuel, your insurance will be higher on the 1700 than the F 350, and some parts will be more expensive.

Geoff

9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I was giving him more options if he is really serious about going with a single axle dump he is better off with a diesel. I work in the excavation industry along with the other resource industries. Gas powered medium duties are the thing of the past you can't make any money with them because the price of fuel.

You guys in the states need a CDL to operate a single axle truck with a gvw over 26,000lbs :rolleyes: which really limits your truck selections.

A truck with a gvw of 26,000lbs 3 ton trucks a true single axle dump is going to have a gvw of 30,000lbs or greater. If a single axle can't haul 7 yards of gravel legally nobody well in this area would hire it because you can get a tandem axle for 15 dollars more.

To charge your customer trucking you would have to charge minimum 50 dollars per hour for a single axle dump to even make any money. A tandem axle you can get for 65 per hour and can bring you 15 tons of material or what ever you want.

So if you are planning on making money with this single axle you may loose money so I would either fix your current 1 ton up or find a newer 1 ton or 1.5 ton truck.

I have been in 1 ton trucking for 10 years now make 35-40 dollars per hour for a 1 ton truck hauling building supplies to sand and gravel.

I know trailers are a big thing down in the states in this are a trailer won't fit in the places I have togo. If you need to haul more material and your places are easy access to get a dump trailer into.

For me most residential yards don't have enough room to turn a truck and trailer so to get a 12' dump trailer into most yards you would have to back off the public road into a driveway that is barely 8' wide with twists and turns some driveways upto .5km long or 1/4 mile long.

You should see some of the holes customers want me togo one place I had to haul to the road was so steep and switch backs with 8000lbs of gravel on the truck the back wheels spun climbing the driveway. The driveway was 2kms each way so it was 1.3 miles in and 1.3 miles out a dirt and mud road talk about tough place to get to.

I have been in the toughest spots you can imagine.

10. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

He runs a F 350 with a 460, he is allready using a lot of fuel. The international will not use much more. He is not trying to go into the truck biz, all he is trying to do is haul small amounts less than 6 or 7 yards to his job sites. He factors the cost of delievering the material into his bid, he can make up the transportation cost in other parts of his bid as well.

Here is the thing, his current truck has mechanical problems, and the body is small.

The other truck has less mechanical problems.

Both trucks are gas, its gas to gas.

He can make an even trade, its a no brainer.

Would an International 2500 series truck be a better truck, you bet, but more money.

Geoff