Opinion on rate of cutting

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fvstringpicker, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

Saturday I cut my yard and my father in laws yard across the street totalling about 21,000 sq ft. 8 -9 trees/bushes to cut around in L shaped yards. Using 44" Toro Z, it took roughly 45 min (both yards) from off trailer to back on trailer. Please opine on cutting time 21,000 sqft = 45 min.

Thanks

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

That's 3/4 an acre per hour if both yards total 21,000 sq ft. That's not very fast according to Toro's productivity charts. But those are not real world figures either.

3. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

You live across the street from your in-laws?

Anyway, the cutting time...

Are you serious? Across the street?

Anyway, back to the cutting time. Seems long for just cutting. Perhaps you double or triple-cut them?

4. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like Everybody Loves Raymond :D

5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I think its pretty cool you livin' across the street from the in-laws. Of course Im constantly told Im biased as her parents passed before we met unfortunately, as they seem like GREAT folks from the stories to have them as kin!!!

Anyway not to bust yer bubble but I would think that the 21m/sf puts you right on track with the production times of a 36wb at 45 minutes.

I would have figured it to have been closer to 25 mins. with a 44/48 Z and all.

Just my .02

6. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

If you just started mowing with a Z well thats fine. You will get faster. I would guess with practice you should get it down to 30-35min. Depends on ditches obsticles and other factors.

Mark

7. Fvstringpicker

Thanks Guys:

Apparently, I need to work on my cutting speed. Anyways, as far as living across the street from my inlaws, I have the greatest father in law in the world, it's his daughter I have trouble with ;)
    (Kidding, I wouldn't take fifty cents for her.) He's retired green beret command sargent major who was over the entire special forces during part of the Veitnan war. Sides that, he's wealthy and my wife is the only heir.

8. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

If I were you I would be real good to his daughter!:D

9. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

2/3 acre an hour is far better than what I can do with 21" machines ! Stands to reason ! I know of a guy here who charges 30 an hour for running small machines 21" and 35 if running larger ! He rounds to the nearest 1\4 hour !
    1\2 hour minimum. or $16 whichever is higher ! According to the production charts at 80% and 3.0 MPH it should take you around 30 minutes to do this !

10. Fvstringpicker

Calculating this thing out, looks like I'm cutting about 466 sq ft per min. What standard per minute should I be shooting for. Athough I wasn't pushing myself, me thinks I'm waisting too much time in my 180 turns. Any advice here would be appreciated. BTW, Lawn Dog, I think my wife could whip both me and father in law if she took a notion. She's 2nd degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do.