Opinion on sales

Discussion in 'Employment' started by Paradise Landscapes, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Paradise Landscapes

Paradise Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone read L&L last month? The cover story is what I am going to refer to. The owner employed a marketing student for his firm. I was thinking on the same thing only a little different: a salesman who's willing to work only on a comission-based pay rate. That person would go to potential customer areas and knock on doors and try to make sales right on the spot.

Any input is always wanted!

2. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, I read it, decent article.
    I think that one thing you should be wary of is the salesperson underbidding or lowballing jobs just so he can make the sale, and therefore get his or her commission. One way around this is to only give them part of their commission and hold the rest until you are sure they priced the job accurately. However, there are problems doing that too, one would be that he could say your production workers are not working efficently and that is why they are not meeting the numbers he sold. I think that you could be on to something but be sure to really think it through, and be sure to have solutions to any possible scenarios that may occur.

3. Paradise Landscapes

I'm a one-man show. I hire as needed. I was thinking on teaching him how I estimate my jobs. If I just break even with this with no profit, Then I would have to lecture that individual. Happens still, take it out of his commission.

4. therainman

therainman LawnSite Member
    from IL

My thoughts would be to go more down the line of hiring an employee to help complete the route. Finish early then YOU sell. There is no better sales person for YOUR small biz than yourself. That first meeting can do a lot. The sales person would be your open door to that customer. The very first contact they will have with you and your biz. A very important first impression will be made. I have sold work by "selling" over anything else. That is not even having anything more than a list of referals and a very good pitch. You must back that pitch with a product to keep their account, but the pitch and the impression is what will get you there to begin with.

Just a thought. Every company/person has a different view on things, this is mine.

Shawn

5. Paradise Landscapes

therainman:
    In mid-class housing developments, would you put fliers out then go to to higher-class developments then go from one door to another?

6. therainman

therainman LawnSite Member
    from IL

Never really liked the cold call myself. Could do some mailings if you like. However, if you are talking about "selling yourself" look into local homeshows etc. The face-to-face contact is irreplaceable. You get that chance to talk to people who are at least mildly interested(or they would not have stopped at your booth) in your setting under your terms. Put together an incentive for your current customers. Maybe a tiered system. Your send me a call I give you 10% of a weekly service, you get me a sale You get 10% for a monthly service, you get me a full service account, you get 1 month 50% off. Just understand the cost associated with this before hand. There is no better ad than word of mouth from happy customers, you are just giving them a little nudge. You will be surprised what a little peer pressure can do in a group of doctor's houswives. I had one doctor from a group to start. Sold them a 12 month full service account. They talked, I gained more biz. Ended up with 7 in only about 2 months all from one account. It only cost me about $100 one time payment. That is a very good return on the advertising dollar.

Hope it helps

Shawn

7. Paradise Landscapes

"A tiered system"?