Opinion on trailer Pricing

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Baseballer1100, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Baseballer1100

Baseballer1100 LawnSite Member

im looking to get this trailer. Its 6.5 x 14 tandem axle one brake side gate and 2' mesh sides. I called a dealer and they said it would be 2600 is that too much? or is that a good price nowadays?
    Here is a picture (It is the top one):
    [​IMG]

2. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I dont like the brake on only 1 axle. In Ny if the trailer is for commercial use both axles require brakes. Check your state laws. Hom much weight you puttin on it, and what are you towing it with?................:usflag:

3. Baseballer1100

Well i really don't think ill need brakes on both axles. ill be putting hopefully a 61' turf tiger and a 48" wb but right now just a 48" scag tiger cub and occasionally some mulch.. I'm towing with a Expedition 5.4 liter v8. Right now im more worried about the price.

4. TimsLawnCareVA

TimsLawnCareVA LawnSite Senior Member

Just bought a Holmes 7x16 with 2' tall mesh sides, dual axles, brakes on one axle, and paid 2650. Very well made heavy duty trailer.

5. Horsepower Lawns

Horsepower Lawns LawnSite Member

Its not what you think you need.
    If you are over 10,001 GVWR you have to get DOT stickers.
    A 2 axle trailer is going to be at least 7,000 GVWR and the Expedition will be more than 3,001 GVWR.

To pass DOT you have to have brakes if over 3,000 GVWR or brakes on all axles if 2 or more. If you get pulled over they can tow you. And yes you can buy trailers that are NOT DOT legal.

(I work on trailers full time and mow part time.)

6. Baseballer1100

Ok thanks.
    Looks like ill be getting brakes on both axles then. What would you charge for a trailer like this?

7. Horsepower Lawns

Horsepower Lawns LawnSite Member

We don't have any with mesh sides right now.
    You need to look how the trailer is built and what parts ate used.

We have 2 trailers that are 16ft with side and rear ramps, but one is $900 more that the other. The cheaper one is spring axles and QRG (?) brakes and axles. The higher priced one is built better, has Dexter axles & brakes, with torflex axles.

If you want a price PM me, but you can find then closer to you.

8. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

For a 14' thats to much money.

the bottom one is worth 2600.

9. Baseballer1100

Thats what I am thinking. Although the same one "custom" built is 2500. I cant decide.

10. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

i paid 2k for a 16 ft, dual brake, trailer 1' sides, and rear gate. has cage and racks.