Opinion on trucks

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by deitleman, Sep 14, 2009.

1. deitleman

deitleman LawnSite Member

Hi- I'm in the market for a used pick up truck. I need it to be able to pull a 12 foot open trailer, with a 60" ZTR, push mowers, trimmers, etc. I will eventually want to put a plow on it too. I was looking at Ford F-150's, V8 engine, between the years of 2000-2004. A friend recently suggested that I consider the F-250, for fear of the 150's transmission not holding up for what I want to use it for. What do you all think? (I know not everyone's a Ford guy, so feel free to change the question to a Chevy or Dodge 1500 vs 2500). Thanks

BJWLAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

you'll be sorry if you don't get a 250 believe me. Bigger brakes, axles everything you name it. I wouldn't even think of plowing witha 150. I use a 03 250 it has 50,000 on it. I bought it with the off road package snow plow package and the tow package and am very happy.
  3. silverado212

silverado212 LawnSite Senior Member

I run a 2500 Chevy 4x4 6.0L gas. Wish I had the diesel, but otherwise love it. If for nothing else get a 3/4 ton or 1 ton for the brakes.

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

A F-150 is more than adequate for that. We have a F-150 we use alot. Sure it doesn't have the power of my 250 diesel but it also cost alot less. Start with a 150 and work your way up.
  5. Impressions Landscaping

Impressions Landscaping LawnSite Member

I don't understand why everyone thinks that a 3/4 ton or one ton pick-up for that matter will PLOW better than a half ton truck. Other than being able to hang a bigger plow off the front of a 3/4 ton truck, a half ton does just fine. I have a half ton chevy with a million miles on it, and it plows great, tows great, of course it doesn't haul as well as my 3/4 ton or 1-ton, but for someone that needs to tow a small trailer and maybe use the truck as a daily driver, a half ton truck is more than enough for some people. If you need to upgrade in the future you can always look into a one ton dump for work and use the pick up for smaller jobs and personal use.
  6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

you cant haul that equipment with a 150. you will really open your self up to a law suite
  7. Lazer Cut

Lazer Cut LawnSite Senior Member

I pull a 16ft trailer, blower/trimmers, grandstand and toro proline, 3 ft walls on my trailer, (trailer weight 1820lbs empty) and my f150 4.6 pulls it just fine.
  8. Lawn Shark prop mgmt LLC

Lawn Shark prop mgmt LLC LawnSite Member

With that equipment and trailer you are well under the towing capacity of a v-8 equipped f-150. It will tow it easily, dont have any idea why someone would say that you would open yourself up to a lawsuit. ?
  9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

It's Very Simple..... It's called stopping
  10. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

Plowing is not recommended for 1/2 ton trucks.

It usually consists over loading your front end (FGVW)

My f-150 has a 3600# front end axle rating...I overload it everytime the truck gets sent out to plow...My personal plow truck is a f250...can basically put any plow I want on it, and still have 2500+ pounds of salt back there.

If you wanna plow...stay away from the independent front end suspension of half tons, and go with a solid front axle truck like a f250.

Don't forget about diesel.