1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Opinion on used mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kc2006, May 28, 2004.

1. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I talked to someone in toledo today and he has a 36" exmark metro with 14hp kaw its 2 or 3 years old and has low hours on it looks to be in good shape (paint is pretty new looking so tells me it wasnt used much) and he also has a toro 52" with 14hp kohler and floating deck same year and condition. The 52 seems under powered, he wants 1400 for the exmark and 1500 for the toro, sound like good deals or no? Thanks for the help :blob3:
  2. Rather Be Fishing

Rather Be Fishing LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

The Toro most definitely would be underpowered in any condition other than a drought in my opinion. Price is good, that engine might be a nice backup for the 36 if you bought both and put some real power on the 52. I'm not real familiar with the Toro floating deck but I'm sure it could be an asset.

I take it this person has tried and quit? Offer $1100 cash for the 36 and see... It could very well be worth $1400, shouldn't take long to pay for itself but $1100 sounds better:p

Money talks. I'm as bad as some of the clients I've had over the years when it comes to getting the best deal, guess they've rubbed off on me... But if the mowers are in really good shape I'd try to snag both at a price that would justify some extra spending to upgrade the power on the larger mower.
  3. Craig Jones

Craig Jones LawnSite Member

We have an older Toro 52" floating deck and it has a 16 hp Kohler and it is barley adequate in power. I would think the 14 hp Kohler would be lacking in power. We have a 14 hp Toro 36"similar to the Exmark, and find the 14 hp engine is up to the task.

We bought our 52" Toro used a few years ago from an LCO who had cancer and quit the business. It was two years old and we paid $1,350.00

Hope this is of help.