1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

opinion: soft vs hard baggers on walkbehind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gravedigger5, Feb 23, 2004.

1. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

Have not done much bagging and try to avoid it when possible. need some opinions on getting a soft bagger for toro for my 36" or going to a aluminum or steel, probably an accelerator. To be used on only a couple of yards, also when grass becomes excessive in spring and help out with leaf cleanups. I have already priced some and that is not a big concern, Thanks Marc
  2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I have an accelerator xl for my 36" Exmark. It was one of my wiser purchases last year. Paid for itself during leaf clean-ups. I figured out a way to dump it into a 55 gal drum liner by stretching the bag over the rear of the catcher while it is still attached to the mower. All you have to do is then lift the catcher off and invert it. One catcher full exactly fills a drum liner.
  3. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used the cloth baggers and hated them. go with a metal mesh. If not the accelerator the grass gobbler. the mesh lets the fine stuff blow through and maintains the airflow much better.
    AND you don't have that big metal plate hanging on the deck when you aren't bagging.
  4. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I may be interested in buying one of these for the fall....hmm
  5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Get the accelerator. they lift off easy, they are bigger, they are expandeble. If you take it off to go threw a gate they dont empty on the ground or TIP OVER and spill.
  6. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the opinions. I usually try to buy most of my lawn stuff from my local dealer, especially the items that are worth a few bucks, cause he treats me pretty good. But all he can get is the soft bagger. I was already leaning twards the accelerator, now I feel better about it. Next question: standard size or XL? Marc
  7. TaylorLawn

TaylorLawn LawnSite Member

I am very interested in the opinions of this thread.......thanks for posting, I am also about to purchase such a product, can someone list the going price ranges for these catchers.
  8. John Gamba

from ct

There is a banner on top and his web site. Go big! You can always fill it less BUT you cant always fill it more:cool:
    Oh the one in the pic is the big one.
  9. John Gamba

from ct

10. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

The Metal plates on most Cloth are a Huge PITA...Go Accelerator....only problem is more Dust but I understand they have a Cover available.

Freedom from Brackets!