Opinions Dodge 6-cylinder turbo disel ?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Az Gardener, May 8, 2006.

1. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Considering one of these truck to pull my 16 X 8 enclosed trailer and trimming debris (very light 30% grass clippings and brush) in bed of truck. Anyone running one of these maybe 2001-03?

2. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

generally, I've NEVER heard anything bad about the Cummins in those trucks.

They're powerful pulling motors, probably not much they wont pull.

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

It will pull it just fine, cummins are huge powerplants, the problem is the dodge auto transmissions. I would get a manual or find one thats already been rebuild/beefed up.

4. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the 2000 Dodge Diesel and pulls anything you hook up to. I put my cabover camper on (1300 pounds empty, over 2000 pounds loaded), hook up my horse trailer at 3000 pounds and load two horses in for another 2000 pounds, total of more than 7000 pounds, and goes like a champ.

5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Wow, thats the 6-cylinder? What about the transmission issues lited above?

6. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I have a 01 5 speed with 3.55 gears. I haven't pulled much with it, 7,500 maybe 8,000 lbs. This truck pulls as good as or better than my others. I really like the Cummins-NV trans combination. The auto trans in an 01-03 Dodge is just as good as Ford or GM year for year. Just like Ford and GM it's most likely going to need refreshing after 100-130k. A dodge auto trans can be built to take a lot of abuse with the right parts.

The only thing that really goes wrong with the Cummins is the lift and injection pumps on the 24V engines. Normally the lift pump loses pressure and causes the injection pump to prematurely fail. If you don't have any history on the truck, you can check the fuel pressure with any gauge that has a schrader valve on it. Pressure should be about 14 psi cruising and 9 at WOT.

7. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

darn near any semi has a 6 cylinder...over 600HP is common now. i love the cummins engines in dodges, the rest of the truck..not so much. while a ford or gm will handle overloading, the dodge takes just what they say and not a pound more. and at least in the late 90's, the brakes were awful. one place i worked at the salemen all had ford or dodge duallys. dodges got about 10,000 miles on the brakes, and the rotors were always junk. the fords doing the exact same work got 25-30 thou, and the rotors almost always were good for one cut. and chrysler cannot get an automatic trans right...from a minivan up to one tons, all junk in my opinion.

8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Well, try before you buy and you should be rather impressed. I would recommend getting a late 03 early 04 or 04.5 model. These are equipped with the 48re trans and it has been very good at stock power levels, that is if you want auto. If you want a manual, find one with the NV5600 in it. This trans is a complete behemoth that will take all kinds of abuse.. As for the brakes....dodge is leading the pack on that topic. My cummins has been great thus far and will be plenty for what you want to tow. Better mileage than any strokers I know as well.

9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

AZ Gardner: Just because it has 6 cylinders doesn't mean it has a tiny displacement. Each of the cummins 6 cylinders are HUGE.

10. cet

cet LawnSite Member
    from Toronto

I have a 2000, 3500 dually. Engine and transmission have been great. The front end is a little weak but I do plow with it. I pull a triaxle trailer with a 8500lb skid steer with no problem but not tons of power up hills. I have 130,000 miles.