Opinions: Gravely z34, eXmark Phazer 34, or Dixon Black Bear 34

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cathman, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Cathman

Cathman LawnSite Member

Ok, I am looking for a small one for gates in our area and looking for a rider only. Looked at all of them and am still undecided. If you own one or have owned more than one....which do you prefer and why? Going rider only also.

Gravely z34- 4499.00
    eXmark Phazer 34- 4799.00
    Dixon 34- 4999.00

Thoughts and what you think about the pricing or have seen.

Thanks for any info.

2. leafitalawn

leafitalawn LawnSite Member

I know this wasn't one of your options...but I would suggest a 32" Wright stander for $4199.

3. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

How about the Encore fusion.

4. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

The only one that I have used is the Gravely, but it doesn't get any better. It's tough as nails. 350 hours on mine with no repairs other than a broken belt.

5. Cathman

Cathman LawnSite Member

Thanks....anything specific i should look for quality wise between the Gravely and the eXmark....i think i have narrowed it down to those two. Hydraulics...brand, style (separated from drive motor or integrated as in the eXmark), specifics about the deck??

Engines are:

Gravely 17 Kawi
    eXmark 19 Kawi

6. Bigray

Bigray LawnSite Member

i personally lean to the exmark, been thinking of the phazer myself.
    i believe support is first and foremost, you want a loaner should it break. they are all close enough in price.
    always go with the bigger motor. imho...

7. Wolfbass

Wolfbass LawnSite Member

Haven't seen the gravely, but I recently was deciding between the phazer and a hustler mini-z 36". I would imagine the phazer mows well, but it didn't feel "sturdy" enough to me--I went with the hustler.

8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I have the gravely 34z and no problems or complaints about it other than the brice of the blades. I would look at the phazer just because its an exmark (they hadnt come out yet when I bought my gravely), but I am pleased with the gravely. Which ever one you buy you will be happy with it. Mine has made it alot easier on us especially in the summer.

9. denniss

denniss LawnSite Member

Gravely has separate pumps and motors. Exmark and Mini-Z have integrated transmissions (apparently commercially rated, though). Mini-Z has shallower deck with some complaints about cut quality.

10. jungleman73055

jungleman73055 LawnSite Member

you may want to look into dixon.i bought me a blackbear 34inch z go with the twin cyl kawi.has parker pumps and wheel motors.this mower mows great mulches leaves like a beast..i have 650 hrs on this machine i run only dixon mowers.and there are dealers close to you.i got mine for 4700 dollars tax included. i am really good friends with the dealer.

jungleman73055