Opinions, info, etc on: Edgers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cathman, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Cathman

Cathman LawnSite Member

Currently i have a trimmer only and use it to edge and trim. My problem is i have been getting a couple of new yards that the owners did not keep up the edging and it takes me a while to get through it and use a bit more string than i like. I charge them an initial clean up fee to cover it, but i think it is taking too long and think that a good edger would cut the time significantly. Sooooooo, for overgrown thick stuff, i need suggestions.

I have a stihl, echo, redmax, and shindaiwa dealer nearby. I have a stihl BP blower and a husky trimmer (love it). Also to consider would be one of the multi attachment types as i do not have a good hedger attachment and i am sure one day my trimmer will go kaput. I only plan on using it for these type properties as i usually do the trimmer once i get it established. Oh, and i tried an echo PE200 a friend had.....NO POWER!!!

So, let the suggestions roll folks, looking for user observations, not what ya think you would like stuff...want real world info. Many thanks.

2. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I have a shinny multi tool and edger and I like it. As far as Im concerned, it is just as easy to use the edger intead of a trimmer and gives a professional look. Most customers think so too.

3. ed2150

ed2150 LawnSite Member

If you get one you'll use it all the time.......I used to think they were unnecessary but it looks so much better when you use one, and I think it saves time, too.

The Stihl KM110 Kombi system is good if you want interchangeable tools, I use a Kawasaki KEL27A edger...either one would have plenty of power for you.

I tried the low-end Husqvarna similar to the Echo you tried...pitiful.

Spend the money to get a good one, you won't be disappointed.

4. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Why do I hear nothing on here about the tanaka 2cycle shaft drivin edger? It will cut concrete if you aren't careful and will cut through a virgin edge with relative ease. And the bed edging capabilities...........the staple of the industry.

5. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got gripes about maintenance people using string edger equipment around water features. Its bad enough to scatter grass blades on bark, but more irritating when it lands in water and messes it up.

Seems like companies need a couple of tools or attachements to do the job right these days.

6. bigbone

bigbone LawnSite Member

Are you talking about the T600 walk behind edger? How much are they? Probably out of my price range.

7. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

We use Stihl stick edgers - great machines.

8. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

They are $650-800. I know it's a lot of money, but well worth it in terms of productivity.

9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

get the sthil 110 stick edger -it will handle any job with ease. easy the best stick edger you can buy