Opinions needed before buying truck

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Andyinchville, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Andyinchville

Andyinchville LawnSite Senior Member

Hi All,
    I am looking to buy a 1981 International 1854 Med duty truck And am looking for helpful input before I make a decision on this truck (will be my first "big" truck so all will be kinda new to me here).

The truck has a DT 466 Engine and 5 sp trans (single speed rear), the tires are like new, and has a 16 foot flatbed dump....The owner claims the engine was rebuilt a year and a half ago and the truck had not been used for the last year or so (it was last inspected 5 years ago and has been a farm use vehicle ever since with occasional road trips)....The truck looks to be in good condition but unfortunately I cannot hear it run or drive it since the owner says the waterpump needs to be replaced and he has the fan and belts off of it (also needs a battery)....Owner also claims the trans was rebuilt and the clutch /brakes are ok).....Mileage is unknown since speedo doesn't work....25,600 GVW, Hyd brakes.

My questions are:
    Any Idea on what I should offer for this being that I can't hear it run? Any idea where I can buy a tilt hood for this (the hood is missing one fender and the area where the headlight is (was) is busted....fiberglass got damaged when his helper hit something with it)....I have heard that the dt 466 are good engines but is there anything bad that I should know about them? I plan on using the truck for logging and may even pull a trailer to take more wood per trip (Don't want to carry it all on the truck because of the relatively low GVW....Any Idea what weight this thing can tow?) ....

Thanks for any and all advice / answers.

Andrew

2. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

I have a "always test drive before you buy" policy on women, skid steers and trucks...... This has worked well....well two out of three aint bad. :rolleyes:

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

You gotta wonder why this man spent the money (BIG money) to have the engine rebuilt then parked it shortly after for a bad water pump, Something isn't Kosher with this picture :dizzy:

Be Careful on this one.

4. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

You offer $500.00 since you can't hear it run. If he doesn't like that, tell him that you want to see it run. For 4500.00, you can always scrap the engine and get 3-4K for it, which he could easily do, bringing us back to the previous post. If all it needs is a waterpump, why for the $100.00 and hour that part will take to install, won't this owner install it?

5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I agree that things are not really adding up. A note on IH trucks epecially in that year. They are tough, not real comfortable, super easy to find new or used parts for and they are the market leader in the medium duty truck market so they are easy to move given they are in good condition. That said having larger trucks in the yard is expensive. They are expensive to run (fuel, insurance, DOT regs if applicable) and maintain (tires, upkeep). You want to make sure you know what your getting into. They can nickel and dime you to death which is likely what is happening to the current owner as Uniscaper said I can't see why someone would rebuild a motor and then not complete the work to make it operational raises a flag. You may be buying into someones nightmare.

If your interested I am selling my 85 IH 2300 33K GVW, 16' contractor body (sides fold down or up, double acting tailgate), pintle/ball hitch with trailer brake, 9 speed, L-10 300 hp, tires have good tread but several are weather checked. Synthetic oil throughout, approx 560K on it. I have had it for almost 10 years. Great running truck, we have just outgrown it. We seldom use as evidence of the tires weather checking before they are wore out. Price 12K. There is a photo of it on my website kaiserskidsteer.com

6. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

If your interested I am selling my 85 IH 2300 33K GVW, 16' contractor body (sides fold down or up, double acting tailgate), pintle/ball hitch with trailer brake, 9 speed, L-10 300 hp, tires have good tread but several are weather checked. Synthetic oil throughout, approx 560K on it. I have had it for almost 10 years. Great running truck, we have just outgrown it. We seldom use as evidence of the tires weather checking before they are wore out. Price 12K. There is a photo of it on my website kaiserskidsteer.com[/QUOTE]

Do you really mean $12,000.00? or $1200.00?