1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Opinions needed on quick purchase to replace FS85

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

OK, my FS85 croaked on me again on my last lawn of the day, which was after-hours of course. Failed to crank. Carb is flooding it to death again best I can tell. Fuel is leaking from the carb and misting out the exhaust as I yank on it. It started this after I rebuilt the carb and I resolved it by tinkering on the needle valve assembly. But now that it's back again, I must do something because I have not had time to shop for replacements of my backups, which have also croaked recently while backing up the frontline stuff.

Now, I'm sure someone will say to just slap a new carb on it. Well, I would have gladly just done that to begin with instead of rebuilding it. But nobody keeps carbs in stock around here, and with the rain delays this week.... I can't wait on them to order one.

I'm sure that with a new carb it will be fit to return to front line duty again. So I'm rather confused as to what to replace it with for now or what route to take. I've really been meaning to go shopping for several handheld items. Trimmer, edger, hedge clipper, saw, ect. But I just haven't had the time.

So I'm sorta stumped about what to go grab. I've considered searching for a leftover 85 and have nervously considered 4-Mix. First I thought about getting a new Stihl edger and swapping on the old trimmer gear head until the new carb arrives for the old FS85. End result being that I would have a reliable trimmer again later and a new edger.

Then I began to consider the Kombi-System from Stihl which would run several quick-attachments like the trimmer, edger, hedge clipper, broom, saw, ect. But after some online shopping it seems all the hedge clipper attachments are long reach.

So I cringed a little (loyal to stihl) and headed over to Echo's site to check out their PAS system, as Echo has been equally good to me so far. So I'm looking at the Echo attachments to see if any of their hedge clipper attachments look more short reach... and it appears they do.

But then I'm not so sure I want to go the attachment route for a hedge clipper... and then I'm surf-shopping all kinds, sorts and brands of handheld stuff... and now I basically just TOTALLY CONFUSED.

I need to put a trimmer in the field NOW, even if just until a new carb arrives.

Other considerations are:
    I would also like to add a new edger, maybe a 4-Mix.
    I would also like a new hedge clipper, for mostly smaller shrubs.
    I might would also like to try a power scythe or reciprocator for slope slashing.
  2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

the 4mix trimmers are very good, for you i think a fs-110 might replace the 85 the best. also the KM series by stihl is a great system that you should think about.
  3. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Try a Robin. They're imported by Carswell in Winston-Salem. If you've ever seen a Green Machine, that was a Robin. Same for Makita.
    Anyway, my 25cc unit is powerful and only 9 lbs.
  4. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I recommend the FS110. I've had it for a little over a year and no problems. Still starts on the first or second pull. It's a little heavy but prefer it over my FS85.

Good luck...
  5. brian mon

brian mon LawnSite Member

Just suck it up Envy and get the new Stihl...

I had a pull cord spring break on me the other day on my FS 85T...
    Rather then wait for the mechanic to return from lunch, I got the new FS250
    man what a brute, and went out and continued working.

It was the second time I had the 85T in the shop this season, now it's back-up.

I had a edger attachment on the 85T until last year, when the cable broke, got the FC 85 and things are much better

Sometimes it pays to not have the worries about breakdowns.

Use the winter to fix the 85, and stick w/Stihl
  6. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Envy, get the 110. They are excellent trimmers, very powerful and reliable other than a valve adjustment our's has served us well so far.
  7. valleylawn79

valleylawn79 LawnSite Member

envy try a deere or red max. i thought redmax /komatsu made the old green machine. maybe i was wrong.
  8. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Redmax or shindaiwa is good. I've used stihl and don't like them as much as others. Echo equipment is good too.

Question why is your carb going out?
  9. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I've noticed similar features on the redmax and deere but others tell me I'm wrong as well.
  10. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

I just got my fs80 back from the shop. I would start, puke out ,not start, Cough out gas everywhere. They had to replace the flywheel. It was NOT suppose to be covered under warranty. Stihl stepped up to the plate and covered it. As I have posted before I have had alot of problems with all of my stihl products. But when they do this it does ease the pain. I am sure I will buy from them again :dizzy: