Opinions Needed: Which ZTR?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by David527, Oct 24, 2004.

1. David527

David527 LawnSite Member

Hi, I'm a new member as of yesterday! I have a Mobile Home Park in SW Missouri with 11 acres to be mowed. I'm looking for a ZTR that will hold up to the steep terain and rocks in and around the mobiles. I have to do the work myself and I have been using the same 15 hp. Craftsman Kohler Command rider for 8 yr.s and I'm about ready for something different! I also would like to do a few properties on the side to help make extra income. There are so many ZTR's out there... I would VERY much appreciate what you professionals out there think which ZTR might work out right for me. I am 6' average build and 50 yr.s old. THANK YOU for a response!!! David
  2. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Demo a Hustler Super Z. They are fast, very comfortable, and carry what is prob. the best warrantee in the biz.

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

4. I'd vote for the Hustler too from what I've read about their ability to negotiate hills with their low center of gravity.
    But any good commercial grade ZTR will make you feel like you've stepped out of the horse & buggy days.
    I'd just want to caution you not to buy too small. 60 to 72" deck and the biggest motor they offer. Maybe even diesel.
    I mow big lawns so even a 72" will take you a while depending on trimming.
    And BTW get the optional suspension seat, or plan to buy one aftermarket.
    I'm 6' too, kinda fat, and 58 years old. Ah, to be 50 again! Forget what I said, get the hard seat. :) (Just kidding, these things have no suspension, except for Ferris) A good seat is pretty important.

Hustler, Grasshopper, Graveley, Dixie Chopper, Exmark/Toro, Ferris and lots of others. They're all good. Post again when you choose one then we'll pick it apart.

5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

A lot would depemd on what your local dealers sell. Just about all ztr's are good machines but some are just designed different and perform a little different in certain situations but for the most part they are all good. I have my favorites just like everyone else- Cub Cadet Tank, Bad Boy, Hustler, Ferris, Scag, Grasshopper, JD, Dixie Chopper, Toro, Bobcat, & Great Dane. I would say to get a 60" deck. If the ground is rough or uneven in places the 60 would be less likely to scalp and if you are planning on doing some yards then the 60 is the way to go because you may get some smaller yards or some rougher uneven yards. Where the 60 would leave a better cut and be easier to manuver. You can mow ii acres very fast with a 60 as well.
  6. David527

David527 LawnSite Member

METRO, Thank you for your opinion. I finally chose what you reccomended- a Hustler. It's a '02 Hustler 23/60 in good shape for $3800. Thanks- David527
  7. David527

David527 LawnSite Member

Thank you who responded to my Post about a which Mower I needed to buy. I purchased today, an '02 Hustler Z 23/60 in great shape for $3800. with only 354 hrs. -David527 :blob3: