1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Opinions needed

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by merk, May 26, 2005.

1. merk

merk LawnSite Member

Hello to all my new found friends on this site. I would greatly appreciate your opinions on Yazoo ZTR brand. I am gradually purchasing all my equipment and am starting out with with a 52 in. & 61in. Yazoo ZTRs which are in excellent mechanical condition. I have gone this route because I do not want the big payments for new&shiny keeping me up all night. I have purchased a new trailer and all new power tools as I go. This way, I start off with no payments except for my commercial vehicle and general liability ins. Any responses would be welcomed and appreciated. Thanks from Bob in FLA.
  2. Pro - Cut

Pro - Cut LawnSite Member

I was told when I bought my new ztr that there is a reason usually that someone has traded or is selling a used machine. I look at it as they more then likely used it hard and there is a reason its is for sale. Not always but more than likely. I tryed to look for some used stuff when a I stared but hard to find anything good. rember time down is money lost. But it is hard to fork out the money for new stuff.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well I sell my oldest mower when it just doesn't run quota anymore. I mean, when a WB can't cut 8-10 yards/day, it's time to go...
    Now I pay 3300 for a new one, and sell my old ones for 1000. Take it or leave it, but it's a Toro proline w/ at least a 48" deck (none that 30-inch crap).

Now, someone who's new in the business:
    a) Doesn't really need a hi-tech (brand-new) mower right off the bat.
    b) Chances are the stuff that inexperience breaks, is already been broken.
    c) Is a LOT cheaper as a learning tool (cauz is NOT as easy as it looks).
    d) When it breaks, it's not an 8000-dollar machine.
    e) Can learn how to maintain them before investing in something new, then having to pay the stealership.
    f) Can still cut 1,000 yards with it.
    g) Pay cash instead of payments which someone who is new does not need.
    h) Doesn't usually have more than 4, 5, or 6 yards/day.

and so on...
    And, for a ZTR, I might could see buying a used one to 'practice' my first 1000 yards before really taking off. I hear say Yazoo is an excellent brand.