Opinions Needed!

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by KrayzKajun, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Tyler7692

Tyler7692 LawnSite Bronze Member

No offense, just looks too commercial. If you want a manufactured block, get some Belgard Celtik wall blocks. They look great with the mixed sizes. Easy to lay also.

2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

the block actually matches the brick. for some reason the color looks off on my camera. it was also getting dark when i took the pic.

3. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd stick with 2 high, based off the photo look at the line of sight at the bottom of the window behind your mocked up wall.

4. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

yea i realized the window line. gunna go with 2 high w/ cap.

5. OUTLANDER

OUTLANDER LawnSite Senior Member

better to go with 2 there....from the looks of the picture, by the time you get to the other corner (or other side of the sidewalk to the corner) you may be at 3 or 4 even....with the grade tapering down......be sure and sink one good enough too, if you're gonna add soil also

6. DLONGLANDSCAPING

DLONGLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

Glad i could give some insight, sorry about your uncle man. I am sure you will bring back the yard for her again. Keep us updated throughout the job.

Another thing you could do to make it look more "soft" per-se would be to use just one stone for the islands and bury it almost flush with the turf. Maybe 1" higher. This will give it a crisp look without a manufactured stone look, the compacted soil around the stone will keep the stone secured and then you could just edge/dig down the inside of the stone(in the beds) so it still is crisp and no mulch or pine stray is getting on the turf. This will make the focal point still attracted to the house and main landscaping instead of all of this stone from the road.

7. professional

professional LawnSite Member

I was looking at your other thread and in the pics over there it looks like two courses might even be too much. I don't think you want the wall higher than the step at the porch. Pics don't always tell the whole story though. You could do that bed at three courses and see what it looks like. Then remove a course and see what it looks like. It's a little extra work, but there's nothing like seeing what it looks like for real.

8. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah that doesnt sound like a complete waste of time at all...

id go 2 courses high and set the first course about 5" under. You really dont want to much wall sticking out. Im really not a big fan on the homecheapo material so im kinda biased but i would go with a natural flagstone stack with mortar to hold them in place

9. professional

professional LawnSite Member

Im really not a big fan on the homecheapo material so im kinda biased but i would go with a natural flagstone stack with mortar to hold them in place[/QUOTE]

I'm all about that if you can convince the client.