opinions needed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by D&R, Jul 5, 2004.

1. D&R

D&R LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I know this forum has been beat to death with this but I'll ask anyways.

Which one is most prefered? I have all manufacturers represented in my area. I have listed in order of my preference.

Lazer Z 27 Koh/52" $will get price tomorrow
    Lazer Z AS 20hp/52 $6000----1200 below retail
    Grasshopper 23hp Koh/52 $6450
    Grasshopper 23 Koh/60 $6750
    Super Z 27 Hon/60 $7200
    Mini Z 23 Kaw/52 $5750
    Scag Wildcat 27 Koh/60

Let me know......I like Exmark but I am afraid might be out of budget.

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Opinions are like_____, I love my Toro Turbo Force but that is not on your list so my opinion does not count

3. D&R

D&R LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

thanks PM, my football coach back in the day used to remind me of that all the time. There is a Toro dealer in the area (25 miles). I just figured it would be the same or close to the same as ExMark. Perhaps I will check them out. How are they on price?

4. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

If the eXmark is out of budget, that does not leave much, As the Grasshopper and Super Z are higher $$$

5. D&R

D&R LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

We would like to be around 7,000 and I think (not sure) the Lazer Z is around 8,200(?) I am going to call and get pricing tomorrow. The local ExMark dealers discount regularly so I know I can do better than reatail just how much is going to be deterent. Sorry for the confusion...

6. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

get the lazer dont look back b/c u will never have to if u take care of it

7. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Exmark and Toro could be had for the same price at the same dealer. I think the toro had a few benefits over the Exmark so thats the way I went. $ 8100.00 for the 60" 27hp. At a Texas state park I was at we used Grasshopper and it served us well. Have not used any others.

8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Stay away from the Exmark with the 20hp engine. The 20hp is not enough engine for a 52" deck if you do anything other than easy mowing. You need at least 23hp for the 52" deck when the grass is thick and heavy.
    I would go with the Grasshopper or the Exmark. Grasshopper has a full two year warranty. I am not sure what Exmark has now.

9. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a Hustler fan personally. Demo one if you can.

10. Steve1

Steve1 LawnSite Senior Member

Of the ones you listed, I would go for the Grasshopper first based upon my own demo experiences.

You should also be able to buy the exMark for around $7300 if the dealer is willing to deal (Lazer Z 27hp with a 52"). However, since you're going with a 52" deck, you should be under $7k for a 23hp/52" Lazer Z.

You should definitely demo all the units, especially the Super Z and the Grasshopper. ExMark is highly valued on this site and it is an outstanding product but i would not rule out the others.

You might also look at the Deere 7 Iron Ztracs - built like tanks, run great and cut as good or better than anyone else's mower.

Demo, demo, DEMO! Find what YOU like, not just what is popular and remember - get a good dealer who will back the sale!

Good luck!