Opinions of a Bradley mower?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by OldRugger81, Mar 16, 2005.

1. OldRugger81

OldRugger81 LawnSite Member

I have found what I believe to be a very good price on a new Bradley Commercial mower 48". I can't find any information on this product, other than what the seller gives. Can I get some feed back from some of you Pro's?
  2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

They are made in China so the quality would not be near as good as an american made mower and they would be a lot harder to get parts for. I'd spend the extra money and get a good name brand american made mower.
  3. CCWKen

CCWKen LawnSite Member

Kohler is made in China? That's news to me. But of course, I guess it could be too. The engine is the most expensive part of any machine. The rest is fabricated and parts sourced from all over the world. There are NO 100% American machines. Not even the car you drive. I just did a Google and got over 11,000 hits for "Bradley Commercial mower" and there were plenty of parts supliers.

I wouldn't write it off unless you do some homework. Look for "Service Centers" in your area or shops that work on them. If you don't do repairs or maintenance yourself, having to deliver it to a shop 200 miles away could be a problem.
  4. Mower Man

Mower Man LawnSite Member

USA sourced parts are:
    Some belts.
    Most other metal parts are made in China.

Takes longer to get it out of the metal crate that set it up.
  5. Jerry and Sons

Jerry and Sons LawnSite Member
    from Pa

I have a dealer around me, he tried to sell me a bradley. Stated that it was designed by engineers that had left from bob cat and exmark and toro. I was very leary to purchase. With out a quality piece of equipment i can not service my accounts, so I went with a toro 48" wb. Seemed like a good machine, but i was not willing to take the chance.
  6. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I was talking about the mower itself. The Engines and Transmissions are American and the Kohlers are made in Wisconsin. China uses lower quality materials than other countries. It may look just as good as a name brand mower but its made from much lower quality materials.
  7. OldRugger81

OldRugger81 LawnSite Member

This is the advertised comparison...

Bradley, Scag and Exmark all have a Kohler motors, Peerless transmission, Duel wide drive belts, 7 gauge steel and a 1 year warranty.

...plus both the Scag and the Exmark are approx. $6500, while the Bradley is $2000.

My Dad is a retired maintenance manager of a large corporation, so he is very handy in the mechanical breakdown department. Plus we already have a Scag Turf Tiger.
  8. CCWKen

CCWKen LawnSite Member

"...but its made from much lower quality materials."

What information do you have to support this statement? China has been getting it's steel from the same foundries that the US does. I don't know of any US manufacturer that has it's own foundry. One thing for sure, the US makers are using the same "much lower quality materials". We (US) just don't pay our workers $1 a day to form/fab the frames.

What you pay for in the US is the investor's new Cadilac. Personally, I don't like paying $3000 for a paint job and stickers. But hey, that's just me.
  9. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

That's why the price of scrap metal is so high, its being shipped to China for all their construction projects.
  10. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Then just buy the china equipment, eventually it will bit you in the a$$!
    I like low prices too, but if everybody takes your view & keep supporting china, who ya gonna mow for when noboddy has a job!
    I try very hard to avoid as much as possible anything that is not assembled or made here in the states. Its nice to know even when China is testing The US at every chance people still want to send them money, go ahead help them with building their missles. :dizzy: