Opinions of Solo 471 blower.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ChaseStratton, Sep 25, 2007.

1. ChaseStratton

ChaseStratton LawnSite Member

Does anyone one own and use a Solo 471 backpack blowere with the 235mph and 705 cfm? What are your thoughts and opinions of it?

2. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i have been eyeing one at a pawn shop. there is some one on here who loves his. parts support is an issue.

3. ChaseStratton

Does he say it breaks down often or something. How many times has he needed parts for it that he couldn't get? Wish there was a supplier around here so I could test one out.

4. lawnboy dan

dosnt break often but its the lack of dealers if it does that worries me. they have a web site but only parts they list for the backpac blowers is the air filter. these are supposed to be very strong blowing but very quiet. this is what intrests me as i need a quiet blower for summer when its too hot for ear protection. these are made in germany so the quality cant be bad. looks decent made to me (the pawn shop one)

5. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

For the money buy something else. Buy a blower your dealer sells that way if you have problems they will be able to get it fixed and back to you in less down time. I don't care for the looks of it, the hose looks way to long for me and the pipe looks to narrow. I guess thats how they get 235mph, might be good for dislodging leaves but not enough volume of air to move them very far.

6. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

FWIW- those robust measurements (both CFM and MPH) are taken at the housing, not at the tube.

7. lawnboy dan

i demoed the solo today. model445. a curious mix of ultra high quality components and low quality. the highs-great engine-smooth powerfull-easy starting and instant responce. the lows -the tubes and straps are of poor quality-would last long out in the field. the engine was the quietst i have ever tested in a back pac.

8. ChaseStratton

Really? Well ok. I guess that's why it won the award for was it's quietness.
    What about the the air velocity. I am still interested in the high mph for blowing wet leaves. What did you notice about that? The 445 is their top model right?

9. lawnboy dan

no its thei mid model. it had good power for only 38cc. i would like to see the big boy solo. if the tubes hadnt been so flimsey-i would have bought it -it was only 175$ and like new